Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenVDB not rendering?

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I know the feeling been there a year ago, now I havn’t started LW in months. You can render the explosion in blender and comp it with you lw render. Best would ofcourse be to get the vdb file to work in lw. Good luck!
    I think he should be able to get the vdb in there.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I think he should be able to get the vdb in there.
    With your help he will. I can’t help as I’ve not used the feature yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    With your help he will. I can’t help as I’ve not used the feature yet
    Ill try, but he may have to wait til tomorrow for recordings, unless Rod manages to follow that instruction right..then he may solve it sooner,

Unfortunately I got caught up in fun with burning flags, simulated with clothfx, exported as mdd with mdd baker, saving out both mdd and object at once in one special folder, then loading
    to blender, delete any subdiv modifier to avoid mismatch in points, correct flip axis, then go to weigth paint, create a vertex map called fire density and paint in where I want fire to emitt from.
    Quick smoke and advanced for the flag object and use vertex map ..So I am having fun with burning flags...a combo of a question around flag and clothfx or bullet for flags in another thread, and following upp
    my hints on using mdd to export to blender.

Havent eaten anything after work, so itīs about time and then some relaxing watching something on the Tv tonight...maybe tomorrow.

No worries, prometheus... I got it working, at least mostly.

One of my issues is that I am still using LW2018.0. So partially, I am dealing with whatever was broken with OpenVDB on that release that may have gotten fixed in a later release.

I went back to Blender and freed my bakes. Then I set the bake to start at frame 2.

Previously, when I would just load the second file in the sequence, it would crash nearly every time. I thought that maybe if I just started the bake from the second frame, then I would have the information I needed.

Well, that worked. When I loaded the file into the null with OpenVDB, I had all of my options and it didn't crash.

Set up my nodes and blackbody radiator, using flame for the OpenVDBNode and the Emission channel and Density for scattering and absorption and the explosion looked waaaaay better... far more detail and much more realistic than it had been previously.

Checked it in VPR and it looked really good. Started to render a single frame, but it was going to take two hours for that one frame, so cancelled it.

So that worked; at least, I had all of the channels available.

Now if I can just get past Layout crashing every time I try to load the VDB sequence into a null in my simulation... ugh.

Ah well.

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. Just the fact that I went from seeing nothing to a very serviceable explosion is huge progress.

Will have to try to press these guys to update Lightwave and see if that provides a fix for the crashing.

Thanks again!

Good luck, keep on working...that is what I did to get somewhere, stubborn is a middlename for many of us.

I suspect VDB may be unstable in Lightwave, also a part of many other things I decided not to upgrade.

Teaser flag, clothfX in lightwave, exported mdd to Blender, painted the areas where I wanted fire with weigth paint, then made sure the fluids fire acess this by setting advanced smoke for the flag to that very painted weight map, the cool thing is that I can continuously paint new areas on the flag if I think it is missing fire flames, or erase paint it if it gets to much, then just go back and hit play.

I just canīt see myself being able to do that with such flexibility in Lightwave and using turbulenceFD, TFD doesnīt have any options to emitt fluids from weigth paint, and on top of all that..It doesnīt cost me anything than the invested parts for lw 2015.
    I havenīt even begun exploring blenders soft dynamics.

Just an openGL preview of it to save time and file size and avoiding uploading to youtube for now.

The principles could be applied for using fractured and bullet dynamic simulated collisions etc in Lightwave and savind mdd, then applying fire ..or smoke or explosions in blender.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have to say though, I am glad that a lot of stuff can be shared quite nicely between Blender and lightwave, clothfx, or bullet ..mdd export it, run fluid fire sims on it in blender, send it back to lightwave with openVDB if needed.
    Using lightwave and OD copy and paste, pasting edges for skin modifier in blender, sending mesh back with armatur and continue animating in lightwave and render.

Had to finally give up on LW.... OpenVDB in version zero is almost entirely unusable for me.

Seventy percent of the time, trying to load the VDB sequence crashes Layout. When it does load and I get it set up, one or another thing occurs that stops the render... and when I open the file again, "a crash has occured". Now the Layout file is useless and I have to start over again.

Hopefully when I get ver. 2018.0.7 it will be more stable. Until then, I just exported an MDD of the simulation and imported it into the Blender file with the original explosion. I'll just have to work from there and render it out from Blender.

Ah well. At least I got a little taste of the potential workflow.

Letīs see if this post getīs through due to the forum acting weird this day.

Let me know how the mdd to blender and fluids works for you, strongly advice to use blender 2.79.3 and use the principled volume shader for fluids, just make sure to raise blackbody intensity.

otherwise with 2,78...you need to wrestle with setting up nodes properly, you could look at youtube or other images of nodes for it though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12