Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: AMD teases Zen 2 Epyc CPUs with up to 64 cores and 128 threads

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post

The 2990WX is rendering just as fast as I expected it to with Lightwave.
    Awesome Nicolas, thanks for letting us know!

The 2990WX at base clock left to auto boost up to 3.4 Ghz as it pleased and rendered it in 22m 21s.
    Yep, that's right about where I'd expect it to perform (a little tweaking would likely get it into under 20m range). Further reinforces the position that sheer core/thread count is strongest weighting factor for CPU 3D rendering (as other tests previously mentioned here were demonstrating as well).
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-16-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Yep, that's right about where I'd expect it to perform (a little tweaking would likely get it into under 20m range). Further reinforces the position that sheer core/thread count is strongest weighting factor for CPU 3D rendering (as other tests previously mentioned here were demonstrating as well).
    With a little tweaking i got it to slightly under 18 mins. Could certainly go below that but i am not too comfortable overclocking it to 4Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Wolf View Post
    With a little tweaking i got it to slightly under 18 mins. Could certainly go below that but i am not too comfortable overclocking it to 4Ghz.
    What are you using for cooling the 2990?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

What are you using for cooling the 2990?
    I am also using the Noctua NH-U14S, but with two fans.
    Its working pretty well with PBO enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Wolf View Post
    I am also using the Noctua NH-U14S, but with two fans.
    Its working pretty well with PBO enabled.
    I think I'm going to add a 2nd fan to mine as well.

I finally installed my 2nd Noctua CPU fan and ran Cinabench R15 getting a score of 4924. My 2990WX seems to stay around 3.4 Ghz most of the time on auto boost. We need some kind of benchmark scene for LW 2018.

I think a rendering shoot-out using LW2018 and top of the line competitive CPUs would make a superb and informative blog post.

Oh, and thanks for posting up the Linus Tech Tips video....

"Threadripper, thanks to it's lower pricing and higher core counts, continues to either compete valiantly or make Intel look downright stupid ... "

BODY BLOW! BODY BLOW!!

Just kicking myself that I got a 1950x instead of waiting for the 2990WX.

Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post

Just kicking myself that I got a 1950x instead of waiting for the 2990WX.

Ah well.
    Maybe next year I'll be kicking myself if AMD comes out with a 48 core 96 thread or even a 64 core 128 thread Threadripper CPU. I figure if they do it will cost a bit more and I can only spend so much on a new machine anyway so I thought the 2990WX was probably a good time to jump in. I was very close to getting a 1950X last year myself but decided my current machine would probably last one more year and then I would see what was available.

I'm assuming next year we will likely see a much improved version of the 2990WX at the vary least so maybe the 2990WX will come down a bit in price after that.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 11-21-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Maybe next year I'll be kicking myself if AMD comes out with a 48 core 96 thread or even a 64 core 128 thread Threadripper CPU.
    Make sure you get a good deal out of what was available at the time of purchase, but beyond that, there's just no value in worrying about it. There will always be faster/bigger/better coming out, it's basically guaranteed to happen eventually, so worrying about that is like worrying tomorrow might be a better day.

Personally, I'm just glad to finally see CPU/MB-combos available at non-ridiculous prices offering more cores/threads than my ancient 2012 MacPro5,1. For much of the work I do, sheer core/thread count matters most. It's nice to finally be able to buy single systems with more available cores/threads without having to spend many thousands on just the CPU & MB.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-21-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    John W.

Maybe next year I'll be kicking myself if AMD comes out with a 48 core 96 thread or even a 64 core 128 thread Threadripper CPU. I figure if they do it will cost a bit more and I can only spend so much on a new machine anyway so I thought the 2990WX was probably a good time to jump in. I was very close to getting a 1950X last year myself but decided my current machine would probably last one more year and then I would see what was available.

I'm assuming next year we will likely see a much improved version of the 2990WX at the vary least so maybe the 2990WX will come down a bit in price after that.
    problem is once you go past 64 threads most software including LW (as far as I last knew) cant use any more than 64 threads (look through the marbles thread for some of the dual xeon 72 core set ups) so it wont help for now, although that may be more to do with the dual processors, over a single, however is this something that's affecting the 2990 speed in some software like lightwave? like I said in the marbles thread im rendering it in 11 to 12 mins (16 without turbo) that's almost twice as fast but almost half the thread count can you monitor all threads to see if they are all running 100%?
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    problem is once you go past 64 threads most software including LW (as far as I last knew) cant use any more than 64 threads (look through the marbles thread for some of the dual xeon 72 core set ups) so it wont help for now, although that may be more to do with the dual processors, over a single, however is this something that's affecting the 2990 speed in some software like lightwave? like I said in the marbles thread im rendering it in 11 to 12 mins (16 without turbo) that's almost twice as fast but almost half the thread count can you monitor all threads to see if they are all running 100%?
    All threads run at 100% on the marbles scene except for dropping for a second when transitioning between AA passes but it also did that on my old machine as well. I do get the speeds that I expected from it though and I haven't seen any noticeable slowdown or bottle necks in anything I have rendered yet.

Don't get me wrong, its still crazy fast for a single processor compared to stupidly priced dual Xeon that could set you back 10-20 grand and for the most part it passes the Intel, but its odd that there are a handful of engines that seem to suffer,
    Intel i7 5960X Extreme, Asus Rampage V extreme, 3x 4gb NVIDIA Geforce GTX970, 32GB DDR4 2666 corsair dominator
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, its still crazy fast for a single processor compared to stupidly priced dual Xeon that could set you back 10-20 grand and for the most part it passes the Intel, but its odd that there are a handful of engines that seem to suffer,
    Perhaps a bit more accurate to say the (Intel) Embree benefits in adaptive use of wider AVX instructions allow the i9-7980XE to slightly offset the typical core-/thread-count dominance factor in rendering stats. Were it not for that offset, the relative results would likely resemble prior relative render stats where core-/thread-count was clearly most dominant factor (which appears to stem from similar architectural structure across most CPU render engines). Complicating matters even further, while Embree kernels are widely used in render engines these days, the adaptive benefit using wider AVX only occurs for engines with relatively recent versions of Embree kernels.

Put another way, it isn't so surprising the 2990WX is doing great, high core-/thread-count CPUs generally dominate render benchmarks. It _is_ a little surprising the i9-7980XE is doing as well as it is, likely due to advanced AVX (and adaptive use of them in recent Embree kernels) somewhat compensating for its lower core-/thread-count.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    John W.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234