Thread: Outdated tutorials

Outdated tutorials

I am wondering when or if Newtek is going to provide users with adequate learning resources. The "Learn Lightwave" page is grossly outdated (most tutorials are of the the 2015 version or older), and the organization by topics is awful. I am trying hard to introduce LW to new designers in my team but, unlike C4D, Maya, Blender or pretty much anybody else, Newtek does not help with a good, updated comprehensive learning center that can guide new users.
    www.acuadra.com

Aluminum iMac 24" 3.0 Gz
    Powerbook 1.6+LW 9.6

I have previously mentioned the training situation, but given it is what it is, what areas do you need to get to speed on (so users here can assist better) ? Pretty much the modelling tutorials are all still good, plus many other areas.

Yup, you are right. Modeling is kinda covered. UV mapping, rigging, a good comprehensive guide on nodes and basically everything that is new in 2018. I think those are the major holes when trying to teach new users. there are tutorials here and there, but not exactly great. BTW, thank you Lexx!
    www.acuadra.com

Aluminum iMac 24" 3.0 Gz
    Powerbook 1.6+LW 9.6

I think I might have mentioned this before, but LWG should pay (well) LightWaveGuru to make official tutorials and be the official LW evangelist. He possesses everything you would want in that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    I think I might have mentioned this before, but LWG should pay (well) LightWaveGuru to make official tutorials and be the official LW evangelist. He possesses everything you would want in that person.
    True, he has great skill and knowledge, but he's also Octane-focused, which is a different workflow.

Not to say that he isn't knowledgeable about current LW2018 node structures and UV mapping, etc.

Making tutorials is really timetaking and hard to do. I tried and then gave up doing a tutorial on the pbsdf material, because it's a big subject to cover. I did a tutorial on metals for 3D artist magazine recently. The other thing is with it being a physically based PBSDF there's already loads of tutorials for other software: it's very similar to how Blender works. I'll throw it back at you guys, what do you actually want to know, what are you stuck on, because small tutorials are easy; massive tutorial series are not and it's less likely to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus01 View Post
    I am wondering when or if Newtek is going to provide users with adequate learning resources. The "Learn Lightwave" page is grossly outdated (most tutorials are of the the 2015 version or older), and the organization by topics is awful. I am trying hard to introduce LW to new designers in my team but, unlike C4D, Maya, Blender or pretty much anybody else, Newtek does not help with a good, updated comprehensive learning center that can guide new users.
    Highlighted my wholehearted agreement.

There is a lot of material out there. It is just disorganized, like the plugin database.

We need a web service that allows users to locate external content, tag it to a topic (or as a step in a progression of lessons), rank it, and comment/discuss it (a service like Pinterest but not so simply designed for people to use while seated on a toilet).
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    We need a web service.....designed for people to use while seated on a toilet).
    Then clearly modelling a 3D toilet would be the place to start....

Clearly
    www.acuadra.com

Aluminum iMac 24" 3.0 Gz
    Powerbook 1.6+LW 9.6

I've been wrangling with this issue and so far, the best resources I've found are as follows:
    1) https://www.youtube.com/user/RHLW (Rebel Hill has a great 2018 series)
    2) Adam Gibson's First 3 Volumes at Liberty 3D
    3) West Notts https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyhall007
    4) The Light Wave Manual curated by Ben Vost, especially the examples section

As Rebel Hill states the changes to LW 2018 were significant and require some getting used to. But I think he does a nice job of summing things up. I am hoping that as everyone gets up to speed with 2018 more and more tutorials will come into existence. I am a huge believer in LightWave and I'm committed to it, but I will say that even Blender has some pretty great tutorials. It is interesting how the different 3D programs seem to be converging to some extent but I still like the way LW is laid out or at least, the way it is laid out is the way I'm used to and now prefer. I should mention that for Rebel Hill, it is his Lighting, Shading, and Rendering playlist that covers the biggest changes. As others have said, modeler is still pretty consistent. In fact, so consistent that much of what Essential Lightwave v9 (published 2007) covers still applies!
    Last edited by gdkeast; 11-09-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post

I agree, we have batted this about. Because even when Lino joined his grammar command of English needed

a little polish, of which he rose to that occasion . If Rene acquired a German teacher in finishing English he could

approach Newtek as the Evangelista. I have already suggested this to him,then again, immersion into a active climate

of a language is paramount. I know because my Greek , Arabic & Russian have suffered by non-use on the ground.

Anyway, Rene could do a great P.R. job for LWD3G at fairs, for that i'm sure.
    Last edited by ianr; 11-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.

LightWaveGuru's German accent is definitely a +.. Easy to understand, but very much there.. And great pipes. I could listen to that dude all day long...

There is the consideration of Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced and also distinguishing between tutorials and courses. The enormous work done by William Vaughan is fantastic, but a bit difficult just to "drop in" from start to finish because they tend to favour particular scenarios.

I think if the Splinegod courses 1) Introduction to Lightwave 2) Professional Character Series 3) Project Chariot were updated for LW 2018 in homage by a respected figure - the end-to-end courses - those three alone would make a big difference to current LW resources, on the basis if it isn't too broken it doesn't need too much fixing.

I have noticed a certain silence when it comes to Larry Schultz material, for various reasons I think I can understand, but it does also have the side-effect that one of the most gifted voices ever in LW gets more dampened over time (not sure the right word to use). If something could be figured out where the right parties could still benefit from updated paid tutorials, it would be good to see for LW 2018. My 1p (or 2 cents).

Last edited by TheLexx; 11-09-2018 at 10:33 AM.

While not quite full tutorials the online docs have real potential to become a good repository for useful and current information. Newtek was VERY responsive earlier this year when it came to rectifying gaps in the documentation that I reported (I haven't submitted any reports the last few months so I can't say for sure if this is still the case), and the new online docs are miles better than the old ones with videos, step by step walkthroughs and examples, So I encourage people to report things that are missing or unclear in the docs, If these docs continue to improve they will mitigate the need for tutorials somewhat.