Thread: TriCaster -> iMovie problems

TriCaster -> iMovie problems

I'm unable to view/edit my TriCaster output video in iMovie. The video imports into iMovie but there is no video and only audio. I have installed the NewTek codecs. I am able to view/edit the video with a different application on the same machine (Lightworks), though. Should I be able to use iMovie?

Here's my setup:
    TriCaster Mini AE2 default video format (Lightworks reports the format as: XDCAM HD422 1080i60 CBR50)
    MacOS Finder says the video has Codecs: Linear PCM, Timecode, MPEG-2 Video
    MacOS: 10.14 (same behavior on 10.13)
    iMovie: 10.1.9

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Last edited by srgray; 11-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.

it took me a lot of years to find that switch!

Look at the settings connected to the Program view. There is a menu setting to change what kind of file is saved. You can do avi which will easily import into imovie.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Hi Stephen,

You might need the XDCAM codecs installed for QuickTime since that is what Newtek is using as of late.

Robert - AE and TC1 TriCasters no longer offer the AVI or MPEG record options, records as QuickTime .mov only (well, plus .mp4).

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Yikes.
    Our machine was thought to have the latest upgrade. Perhaps not.
    Thanks for the info.
    Robert
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert@ISD View Post
    Yikes.
    Our machine was thought to have the latest upgrade. Perhaps not.
    Thanks for the info.
    Robert
    The "auto update" business on TriCaster is unreliable. In the LIVE interface, press ALT-B and it will show currently installed software version at top of screen. I always do manual download and installs myself.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I just installed iMovie v10.1.9 on OSX 10.13.6. I didn't test every recording video format, but I appeared to be very similar in compatibility as I find with Final Cut Pro X (which isn't unsurprising). It is possible that FCPX is installing some additional codecs on the system that could be helping, so I would install the FCPX trial on the system to get those codecs installed. Even after the FCPX trial ends, the codecs will remain on the system.
    https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/

Here is a list of media compatibility with major applications, iMovie should be similar to FCPX in this list.
    NewTek Recording Formats.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I just installed iMovie v10.1.9 on OSX 10.13.6. I didn't test every recording video format, but I appeared to be very similar in compatibility as I find with Final Cut Pro X (which isn't unsurprising). It is possible that FCPX is installing some additional codecs on the system that could be helping, so I would install the FCPX trial on the system to get those codecs installed. Even after the FCPX trial ends, the codecs will remain on the system.
    NewTek Recording Formats.pdf
    Thanks for the replies. I installed FCPX but it is behaving just like iMovie and Quicktime (no video (green screen only) with audio working).
    I am able to view/edit the video with Lightworks on this Mac. I assume it uses it's own codecs instead of the system codecs??
    I've installed the NewTek SpeedHQ codecs several times on this machine. Is there anyway I can verify if they have installed correctly?
    Any other ideas?

Thanks!

What version is the TriCaster software? It is at least at the version numbers in the PDF?
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    What version is the TriCaster software? It is at least at the version numbers in the PDF?
    My TriCaster Mini is at: Build Number 5-1-180706C. I think that is greater than the PDF, if I'm reading that right.
    Oh, but now I'm understanding the compatibility chart better in the PDF. I am recording in 1080i, so it looks like I shouldn't expect compatibility with FCPX, right? (or Quicktime/iMovie)

So, I guess I need to select a different recording format if I want compatibility with FCPX/iMovie? Is that selection determined when creating a new Session?

Correct. From what I have gathered, Apple's decompressor doesn't support MPEG2 Field Picture Mode used by interlace recording. Anything that is progressive will work correctly.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Had the same with issue with a customer that tried to edit in IMovie
    Eventually - I converted all the files to MP4 with Any Video Converter

https://www.any-video-converter.com

You can also export from the TriCaster in ProRes format, then the files will come into FCPX or iMovie in any video format that you want to use.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.