Thread: Connect Spark with OBS (linux)

Connect Spark with OBS (linux)

Hi,

I recently purchased a Connect Spark (hdmi) to use with OBS running on Ubuntu. I've updated the Spark to firmware 3.85.0934 (listed as 943 on the website). I'm running the latest versions of OBS and the NDI plugin. I have another NDI source (ProPresenter 6) working just fine.

I was expecting an NDI device from Newtek to 'just work' but several days later and I have yet to have the Spark show up as a source in OBS. I've installed the NDI tools on a mac and the Spark is listed as a source there.

OBS is listed as compatible with the Spark on the Spark's website...what am I missing?!

Thanks,
    Kevin

The Spark HDMI uses NDI|HX and requires an additional driver to be installed on a system for operation. Software products like ProPresenter use 'normal' NDI which is why it works as is. NDI Tools for Windows and OSX includes the HX driver. I believe there is a HX driver for Linux as well, but I think you need to contact support to get it.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you Kane for you help. I'll ask them about that and let you know how it goes.

Alas, I'm sure you are right in that I need the Linux driver, but Newtek support has been extremely disappointing. After multiple contacts all they seem capable of doing is sending me a link to the HX driver (NDI Tools) page...which only has drivers for Mac/Windows. I'm going to scrap the Spark/HX and go with the Birddog Mini.

Thank you for attempting to help Kane.

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    Here is a link to the NDI HX driver for Linux http://514f211588de67e4fdcf-437b8dd5...verForLinux.sh. Our support team has been updated with the correct information.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call