Thread: NDI|HX implemented in TriCaster

NDI|HX implemented in TriCaster

Hello,
    Just wanted to put in a request to get the NDI|HX protocol implemented into TriCaster software. I talked to support and was told this is not in the cards yet so I am posting it here. I think this would be an awesome feature of Advanced Edition.

I have been experimenting with NDI a lot lately over our quite large campus network (getting feeds from our remote sports complexes back to our main control room). My tests have went quite well during a normal weekday... But during a broadcast, which is sometimes when over 14,000 people are in the building, the feeds begin to lag and break up. Of course, this is because of the excess of people in the building clogging up the network. I have two thoughts on this... 1) NDI|HX would greatly reduce the amount of bandwidth needed for each of our feeds and lighten the load needed hence cleaning up the feeds. 2) I am working with our IT services to get a clean, priority "pipe" out of the building which I imagine would help a bit too. If they will work with me on it...

Anyway, I am just looking for a way to reduce the 100MB per stream needed with NDI to the 10MB NDI|HX needs (based on my research). I have also started looking into the Sienna NDI Cloud product as a possible solution for now.

Thanks for the consideration!

Austin Minnihan
    Iowa State University Athletics

NDI|HX only runs on hardware chips, that is why do you don't find it as an option for output in the TriCaster which does all NDI encoding in software. The NDI SDK doesn't have NDI|HX encoding in it, just decoding. I'm not going to say it will never happen, but it would take a lot of additional work.

Also, what are you asking for can already can be done today by putting a Spark on the output of a TriCaster system.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. The original intent was to use one of our 860 as the remote "hub" by which all of the camera sources are fed. Then use a second 860 at our control room as our main switcher of the sources to that "hub" TriCaster 860. So I guess the way to accomplish a setup like this using NDI|HX would be to get a Spark for each source, then get those all on the same network (with a simple switch). The collection of Sparks would in turn be the "hub." Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks!
    Austin

Quote Originally Posted by austinminn View Post
    Ok, I guess that makes sense. The original intent was to use one of our 860 as the remote "hub" by which all of the camera sources are fed. Then use a second 860 at our control room as our main switcher of the sources to that "hub" TriCaster 860. So I guess the way to accomplish a setup like this using NDI|HX would be to get a Spark for each source, then get those all on the same network (with a simple switch). The collection of Sparks would in turn be the "hub." Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks!
    Austin
    Before buying a bunch of Spark units, I'd suggest taking a look at an NC1 IO. Pure NDI requires more bandwidth, but has its advantages, and an IO would add a lot of features, having been designed for the hub scenario you're considering.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I was looking at the NC1 IO unit as well but it doesn't appear to have NDI|HX. My main goal is to limit the bandwidth as much as possible. I just don't trust that our network would be able to handle 5 or more 100MB streams for a 2-3 hour period from over 2 miles away without having issues (I understand that technically it shouldn't be a problem but our network is so big and these stream would hit so many switches and buildings before making it to their destination that somewhere along the line I would expect network congestion to be an issue). Maybe I am wrong... but I'm thinking the Spark might be my best bet for now...?

My understanding is that only the NDI streams being used actually use any bandwidth while the others are just on the sidelines sending out memos that they are available until called into action.

What I'm not clear on is this - Kane or Steve - say I have 10 NDI sources available on the network, and I configure 4 of them to Inputs on TriCaster. Are all 4 of them then pulling full bandwidth, or is it lesser bandwidth (like to feed a thumbnail/preview) until that NDI source is actually put to Program? I thought the latter, which would certainly help Austin with actual bandwidth being used.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1