Thread: Enviro Light /Textured Enviro conundrum

Enviro Light /Textured Enviro conundrum

I've run into an issue that is sort of an enviroment light "lens flare". I can rotate the lights null a few degrees to hide the problem, but that's not really resolving it.

Here's the problem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enviro Lens Flare_01.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	850.4 KB 
ID:	143270

At first I thought there must be some simple exclude option, but I'm sure not finding it.

This doesn't work obviously:

Name:	Enviro Lens Flare_02.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	873.7 KB 
ID:	143272

... and this is pretty much out:

Name:	Enviro Lens Flare_03.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	868.3 KB 
ID:	143271

So, anyway to actually resolve this w/o resorting to the cheat?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Hmmm... well, I'm not really familiar with your set up. When you say "lights null" what are you referring to?

Generally I set an environment light and choose an image world / textured environment image, load an HDRI and use sample backdrop. If I need the environment light direction to change, I just rotate the HDRI in image world / textured environment.

If it doesn't mess up your light set up, you can just drag the environment light out of scene. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actuall need to be in the render view to still provide the same lighting.

I use one of the OD Tools that pretty much does the same thing. From a preset library of HDR's, it sets up the enviro light, sets up Textured Enviro, & creates a null for you so you can control rotation w/o having to go into the Textured Environment UI. Image world has no E control.

You got me thinking though: Tried lifting the light 100' or so & no change to the flare. Actually any spactial movement of the light has no affect apparenlty. Only nudging the heading. It's as if the "light" is totally ignoring any spec values of the surface.

I''m guessing this is a bug of some sort but I don't know with what.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I use one of the OD Tools that pretty much does the same thing. From a preset library of HDR's, it sets up the enviro light, sets up Textured Enviro, & creates a null for you so you can control rotation w/o having to go into the Textured Environment UI. Image world has no E control.

You got me thinking though: Tried lifting the light 100' or so & no change to the flare. Actually any spactial movement of the light has no affect apparenlty. Only nudging the heading. It's as if the "light" is totally ignoring any spec values of the surface.

I''m guessing this is a bug of some sort but I don't know with what.
    It's definitely a bug.

I use environment lighting in practically every scene I render and I typically use textured environment with an HDRI; but I have never seen an issue like the one you have here.

It seems like the environment light is acting more like an IES light of some kind.

Is it possible that you have another light in the scene that you haven't accounted for that could be causing it?

did you

1) untick sample backdrop in the radiosity settings
    2) set all surfaces to be 'raytrace only'

If not that could be an artefact from no importance sampling.

To me, it looks like a specular hit on the floor. Does your ground surface have any specularity?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB