Thread: PTZ1 PoE requirements

PTZ1 PoE requirements

Hi!

Does anyone know the full requirement specification for the Newtek NDI PTZ1? We have had countless situations in installations where there switch is specified to deliver PoE+ (802.3at) which is the same as in the tech specs for the PTZ1, and where the camera simply won't function. It delivers video, but cannot pan, tilt or zoom. It is as if the motors require slightly more power than the switch can deliver. On some switches (in our cases mostly HP) it works though. Once we used injectors specified to deliver 30 watts, which worked. Connecting directly to the Cisco switch didn't work, and the switch even reported to be delivering 30 watts.

Are there any schematics for this camera, or any specification on how much power it actually needs? Or any documentation about how it negotiates what type of PoE it requires?

Thank you!
    Anton Eriksson
    Lanlink Digital Broadcast
    Stockholm, Sweden

The PTZ1 manual states that it "supports the Power over Ethernet standard (IEEE802.3at)." This is the information we received from the manufacturer. If you are finding that this is not the case, a detailed bug report would probably initiate an inquiry: https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...Reporting-Bugs
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

PTZ1 power requirements - truly one of the greatest mysteries of the 21st century...

The problem is, when trying to purchase a PoE+ IEEE802.at switch is that it will advertise the available power per port, like 30w, but will then also advertise the total power BUDGET for the switch, which may NOT be able to accommodate 30w for EVERY port. Total budget varies, so if connecting multiple PTZ1 units to a switch, will be nice to know how much juice is really needed in total.

Thanks

Jeff
    Last edited by JPulera; 10-31-2018 at 09:22 AM.

I just plan for worse case, 25.5w per port. The amount of power will vary, idle will use less than when you have the motors moving, and the more motors in action, like pan, tile and zoom at the same time will use more power than just a zoom.

I've not tried many PoE+ myself with the camera but I got a Trendnet PoE+ injector and it powers the PTZ1 without issue.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Yeah, the total power budget should be considered when having multiple cameras. But I am only testing with one camera, and here are some examples of what I have found:
    HPE OfficeConnect 1420 24G PoE+ (124W) Switch (JH019A): Works, tech specs only says PoE+, not 802.3at
    HP Aruba 2530 8G PoE+ Switch (J9774A): Does not work, tech specs says both PoE+ and 802.3at
    Cisco Catalyst 9300: Does not work. Spech says 802.3at, PoE+. On this one we had the customers network technician on site, and he could not figure out how to get it to work.

It would be nice to be able to tell them exactly why it does not work. The hunt for answers continues.

Cheers
    Anton Eriksson
    Lanlink Digital Broadcast
    Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Kane,

I ordered the TrendNet injector you mentioned, as that seems like a great solution for me with one camera which gets used with different switches from time to time.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1