Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daytime moon

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell View Post
    Who can forget the daytime blood red moon over the pyramids quite the blend-in also...:

A bit odd with that much specularity, but for weird artistic freedom, guess thatīs ok

Cool 1000 years...

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    A bit odd with that much specularity, but for weird artistic freedom, guess thatīs ok

It's from another time...ancient yet future also...specularity shifts over large amounts of moon time especially when father SUN comes to visit it's like he is emotional...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell View Post

It's from another time...ancient yet future also...specularity shifts over large amounts of moon time especially when father SUN comes to visit it's like he is emotional...

The image loads a bit slow, a suggestion would be not to use png, which often is good for most other stuff in graphics and lossless, but instead use jpg with a compression of 80 will load faster and good enough for showcase on the forums.
    Thanks for the history of the moon

Ma3rk : To my inexperienced eye, it looks pretty good.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I switched to a Delta material for the moon object, and that with some matte & luma manipulation into a gradient for surface transparency is getting there. Think I need to kick the volu fog up just a bit or tweak distance settings. In any case, I'm just bummbling along with this so open to better techniques.

Knocked the main enviro light down some as well.

Attachment 143265
    yes, looks good  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks guys.

By an odd coincidence, I came across an actual reference within my own scene.

Items don't seem to like to instance consistantly when FBX exported so I know there's going to be some fiddling. I noticed some gaps in my scene where it seemed a building should be, but there wasn't anything that looked like a church (all the structure names are genereic bldg01, etc.). And ya can't have a proper old Western town w/o a church! And of course it has to be at one end of the main street, and in this case that just happens to be opposite of the Undertakers.

So, I started whanging together a Southwestern church from a Northeastern one. Planning on reworking some the stone work & think some instancing & Bullet "modeling" might come into play. Anyway, mostly working in wire or shaded mode to position & tweek things so finally set up the camera & took a peek.

There's the real moon in the HDR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewChurchMod(19min).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	143287

... and looking the other way:

Name:	Undertaker End of Main(16+mins).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	143288

They both work so for now I'm keeping 'em I guess. Next chore is to refresh the wetware on weight maps & instancing to add more weeds & dry grass.

BTW, In migrated this scene over from 2018.06 to .07 fairly painlessly. I've had a bit of twitchiness with Modeler, but if you save then sync to Layout then Close the model &/or Modeler before continuing in Layout, it's fine. Been that way for awhile but I've an aging system that I can't fully rule out. Layout crashed once this am when I got up to get more coffee, & it wasn't doing anything. Very occasional Gremlins but nothing that's repeated anyway.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

BTW, In migrated this scene over from 2018.06 to .07 fairly painlessly. I've had a bit of twitchiness with Modeler, but if you save then sync to Layout then Close the model &/or Modeler before continuing in Layout, it's fine. Been that way for awhile but I've an aging system that I can't fully rule out. Layout crashed once this am when I got up to get more coffee, & it wasn't doing anything. Very occasional Gremlins but nothing that's repeated anyway.
    Are you still seeing crashes/instability during switching between Layout and Modeler with .07? Stability-wise I'm still seeing issues synching with Hub on Mac. I haven't really checked whether the Windows-side "app switch delay" issue is fixed, suspect so given release notes, but will confirm later. Alas, decent reliable repro of stability issue with synching on Mac remains elusive.

Scene's looking quite nice, is it supposed to be a "ghost town", or still an active, functioning town?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

One minor thing, there was often two way wagon traffic on a street like that, so it would be wider. Pretty accurate otherwise. (I grew up in Arizona.)
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Are you still seeing crashes/instability during switching between Layout and Modeler with .07? Stability-wise I'm still seeing issues synching with Hub on Mac. I haven't really checked whether the Windows-side "app switch delay" issue is fixed, suspect so given release notes, but will confirm later. Alas, decent reliable repro of stability issue with synching on Mac remains elusive.

Scene's looking quite nice, is it supposed to be a "ghost town", or still an active, functioning town?

As mentioned it's been intermittant. Very stable tonight but not pushing anything either. Keeping a cautious eye open though.

I havne't really decided. Think it's a present day ghost town. Got a couple things to age yet still.

Mostly it's a way of practicing surfacing, lighting etc. w/o much investment timewise on modeling. Been having to to some of that anyway on these particularly the UV's. Got a good workflow now where I can just temporarily apply a single texture in order to see what's going on in Modeler. Some of these need extreme Free Move point dragging in the UV window, coloring outside the lines so to speak in order for some textures to tile correctly or at leas acceptably.

Been waiting a long time for things to work like this w/o too much of a struggle. Ya, some things need TLC still. Suspect new system this coming Spring will open up some new abilities I can't now due to hardware limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    One minor thing, there was often two way wagon traffic on a street like that, so it would be wider. Pretty accurate otherwise. (I grew up in Arizona.)
    I thought of the same thing late yesterday in fact. Fortunately, being a digital set that's semi easy to change.

The terrain is still very much a WIP. I'd like to completey redo it but the original has some nice work in that there 6 different texture layers and 5 different masks. Unfortunately, none of them are labled or meaningfully ID'ed other than color, normal or mask. My Knode Knowledge is a bit taxed too. In After Efects, I know how I could combine, layer, mask etc., but with the Nodes I'm missing something. Probably looking for one thing & it's called something unexpected. &/or just making it harder than it needs to be.

At some point I'll try to pick apart the surface as it is in Daz's UI, but that could be painfuller.

Thanks guys.

By an odd coincidence, I came across an actual reference within my own scene.

Items don't seem to like to instance consistantly when FBX exported so I know there's going to be some fiddling. I noticed some gaps in my scene where it seemed a building should be, but there wasn't anything that looked like a church (all the structure names are genereic bldg01, etc.). And ya can't have a proper old Western town w/o a church! And of course it has to be at one end of the main street, and in this case that just happens to be opposite of the Undertakers.

So, I started whanging together a Southwestern church from a Northeastern one. Planning on reworking some the stone work & think some instancing & Bullet "modeling" might come into play. Anyway, mostly working in wire or shaded mode to position & tweek things so finally set up the camera & took a peek.

There's the real moon in the HDR.

Name:	NewChurchMod(19min).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	143287

... and looking the other way:

Name:	Undertaker End of Main(16+mins).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	401.9 KB 
ID:	143288

They both work so for now I'm keeping 'em I guess. Next chore is to refresh the wetware on weight maps & instancing to add more weeds & dry grass.

The scene is looking great, though I have no real reference memory of such scenery.
    A suggestion though..maybe size down the ground textures, as well as the scale/ amount of displacement on the ground.

I havne't really decided. Think it's a present day ghost town. Got a couple things to age yet still.
    Ah. The only thing that had caught my eye were a couple of fairly large tree/shrub instances in what would be "high-traffic" areas in the street, but as it's a ghost town, that's fine.

I'm less than thrilled with the current preview-less Modeler workflow w.r.t. surfacing, I really think that was a significant misstep on the devs' parts. I understand the reason/limitation that caused that, but strongly feel they needed to find a better solution than to completely drop surface previews from Modeler's Surface Editor. If you've got synching between apps, and you can migrate view frustum data from Layout to Modeler, then you can dang well do the same with a surface preview image.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Ah. The only thing that had caught my eye were a couple of fairly large tree/shrub instances in what would be "high-traffic" areas in the street, but as it's a ghost town, that's fine.

I'm less than thrilled with the current preview-less Modeler workflow w.r.t. surfacing, I really think that was a significant misstep on the devs' parts. I understand the reason/limitation that caused that, but strongly feel they needed to find a better solution than to completely drop surface previews from Modeler's Surface Editor. If you've got synching between apps, and you can migrate view frustum data from Layout to Modeler, then you can dang well do the same with a surface preview image.
    Ya, one would think. Something to look forward to I suppose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12