Thread: FIXING the TriCaster Software Update link

FIXING the TriCaster Software Update link

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but the TriCaster Software Update link in the NewTek TriCaster menu system has not been working for sometime now. I just got off the chat line with Newtek support and they know about this and do not have a fix or know if it will ever be fixed! The present link seems to send you to a dead URL page that is no longer supported. I have a Tricaster Mini running the "standard" version of the software. It would be really nice if I did not have to exit into the Windows desktop Admin Mode to perform updates. Can anyone at NEWTEK indicate if this will ever be fixed or not?

Thank you.

Well, first of all, greetings to Timmins! (Tri-town boy here)

To your point, I discussed this with QA and they are going to look at it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve, where are you located now?

San Antonio (NewTek HQ) ... considerably less snow here, but a lot fewer lakes with ancient, windswept white pine extending out onto the point, too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Update - well, turns out there is a longstanding bug case on this (note to self: Case 87359), and pretty much everyone in Engineering, QA, MIS and CS has had something to say about exactly how this should be fixed (but clearly it hasn't been). I will find suitable people to grumble at this afternoon and try to get this looked after.

In the end, the fix will probably just be a re-direct (to the Support & Downloads Page), although I can think of things I'd rather do; but a redirect will fix it without an update, and 2-6 is so 'long in the tooth' that likely only a bug that interfered with production would trigger an new build and update.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

My first post and same question really. We have a 460 that needs updating but as the URL is dead our IT boys are suggesting we download the update onto a USB stick and install it that way. Bit reluctant to do this, but am I worrying over nothing? Can we just paste in the download page from IE in admin mode and do it directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Tri_plaster09 View Post
    our IT boys are suggesting we download the update onto a USB stick and install it that way. Bit reluctant to do this, but am I worrying over nothing?
    Yes, I think you are. The updater app and downloads are available directly from our Downloads webpage.

Can we just paste in the download page from IE in admin mode and do it directly?
    I'm not quite sure I'm following your question here, but this link will take you to the Downloads page, and the utility you get there will let you download the installers to a thumb drive, if that's what you wish to do.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Steve,

Wasn't sure whether we needed to update through the Tricaster App but if not then will do it via the Downloads page.

Many thanks.

Further query. The current version of IE on the 460 is version 10, and they want to install Chrome portable instead, I 'm sure I've been told that Chrome does not work well (if at all) alongside the Tricaster software. Should they update IE first and then run the downloads/updates?

Further query. The current version of IE on the 460 is version 10, and they want to install Chrome portable instead, I 'm sure I've been told that Chrome does not work well (if at all) alongside the Tricaster software. Should they update IE first and then run the downloads/updates?
    In Advanced Edition, you can install a newer browser. I think we're recommending Firefox, but I believe Chrome will work too.

If you're still running TC under version 2-6 (Standard Edition). I think you can only update IE as far as ver. 11. The link below will take you to the appropriate download (you'll have to specify your language and choose the correct download for Win 7 64bit - Windows doesn't warn you if you use the wrong installer).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...line-installer
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

With TriCaster AE2 you can upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 (in fact it recommends to you do so). In the very latest releases of TriCaster AE2 (and TC1, VMC1) you can install FireFox and make it the default browser. When you install FireFox do not install the Maintenance Service (or uninstall that part afterwards).

In AE2, IE will be used in some parts and FireFox in others. With TC1 and VMC1, Firefox will be used anywhere you would pull up a browser UI.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Beat ya, for once!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Guys, yes we're still running in standard mode 2-6 at present but perhaps we need to think about going to the Advanced version soon.