Thread: Using NDI for PTZ control without using NDI video

Using NDI for PTZ control without using NDI video

I did a live event last night using two HD cameras connected to TC460 AE using SDI, and third camera was a Newtek PTZ1 connected via direct network connection. For whatever reason, I was getting delayed switching when going to the NDI camera source on Input 3. Rather than spend a bunch of time troubleshooting the NDI issue, I figured I'd just run an SDI cable to the PTZ1 and not worry about NDI/network video. However, I still needed to CONTROL the PTZ1 via NDI, and that stopped working the moment I changed the TriCaster input from NDI to SDI - even though NDI was set by default as the PTZ control protocol for that input.

I had hoped that as with RS-232 control that TriCaster wouldn't care HOW or even IF the video from the PTZ camera is getting to the TriCaster, but rather would simply use NDI to control the PTZ1. Not the case apparently - if NDI is not selected as the SOURCE for that input, then you lose NDI control of that input!

The workaround was to assign the PTZ1 NDI source to an unused video input, being Input 4 in this case. I used the PTZ1 SDI video feed from Input 3 for switching, but used Input 4 in the PTZ control interface to move the camera and select presets. Worked out just fine!

Hope this helps someone else if ever in that position

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I think this would make a jim-dandy Fogbugz case, Jeff.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve,

Good idea - guess I assumed it was BY DESIGN. Will submit, thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

You can set the PTZ control type to Sony>Ethernet and then enter the IP address of the PTZ1 and be able to control it from TriCaster while getting SDI/HDMI input from it.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane, good to know! I was on location and already stressed about other issues I was having and went for the quick, easy fix, not having time to really delve into it. I did submit a FogBugz and it was suggested to use the Newtek > Ethernet setting for PTZ, which must be pretty new as I'd not seen it before.

As with most things in TriCaster, there is almost always multiple ways to accomplish the same end results.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera