Thread: How do you adapt your shortcuts when using several 3d software?

How do you adapt your shortcuts when using several 3d software?

Personally I try to change shortcuts to be as much the same as they can be for tool commands..
    Like for blender ..the basic scale or size shortcut is set to "s" while in lightwave that is not the default key...which I of course have changed.

To note is that I have been using that re-assigned shortcut for Lightwave a long time, long before I even tried blender, and good enough I only had to change in one software here for that particular
    tool anyway.

How is it working for you fellows? can you deal with different shortcuts for various programs? wouldn´t it mess you up in your state of mind when working with two or more programs if you are forced
    to enter a modo, houdini, blender state of mind to adapt to it´s shortcuts..instead of trying to assign them as equally as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

Personally I try to change shortcuts to be as much the same as they can be for tool commands..
    Like for blender ..the basic scale or size shortcut is set to "s" while in lightwave that is not the default key...which I of course have changed.

To note is that I have been using that re-assigned shortcut for Lightwave a long time, long before I even tried blender, and good enough I only had to change in one software here for that particular
    tool anyway.

How is it working for you fellows? can you deal with different shortcuts for various programs? wouldn´t it mess you up in your state of mind when working with two or more programs if you are forced
    to enter a modo, houdini, blender state of mind to adapt to it´s shortcuts..instead of trying to assign them as equally as you can.
    I try to use the defaults as much as possible. I don’t like to have to setup everything every time there is an update or if I work at another computer. I don’t think its much harder to remember shortcuts than to remember the keys and buttons to press for navigation. I should add that I don’t use shortcuts for everything, I use the GUI quite a lot.

Edit: I jump between Blender, Lightwave, Rhino, Unity, ProE, FreeCad, C4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, AE, Fusion, Premiere etc
    Last edited by Ztreem; 10-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.

It's an advantage to get used to the Maya style navigation and some common shortcuts when switching between applications (which includes Substance and landscape tools).

I personally don't like the Maya navigation that much (specially the middle mouse button move) but it works in most applications out of the box or at least with a navigation preset.

But besides that I focus on one main 3D application (C4D) where I know most important shortcuts (and can also use the Maya navigation additionally).

For Blender I set the keys to Maya preset also, but I rarely use it. When using LW again I mostly hit the wrong keys in the beginning.

But since engineering / developing in vastly different Unix and Linux environments, enterprise middleware and programming languages / IDE's is part of my job, I'm often forced to use different keyboard layouts or commands, so I don't really have problems with context switching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I try to use the defaults as much as possible. I don’t like to have to setup everything every time there is an update or if I work at another computer. I don’t think its much harder to remember shortcuts than to remember the keys and buttons to press for navigation. I should add that I don’t use shortcuts for everything, I use the GUI quite a lot.

Edit: I jump between Blender, Lightwave, Rhino, Unity, ProE, FreeCad, C4D, Photoshop, Illustrator, AE, Fusion, Premiere etc
    Thanks for the input,
    Well..if you use the GUI..mostly, that means your way of working really doesn´t interfere with your state of mind..when you are forced to set your brain to choose between a lightwave or blender shortcut, which needs to differentiate between 2,3,4,5 various shortcuts depending on what software you use.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thanks for the input,
    Well..if you use the GUI..mostly, that means your way of working really doesn´t interfere with your state of mind..when you are forced to set your brain to choose between a lightwave or blender shortcut, which needs to differentiate between 2,3,4,5 various shortcuts depending on what software you use.
    Yes, it is easier to jump between if you utilise the gui. But I do use shortcuts for things I do often and I don’t have a big problem jumping between programs. I usually get som hickups and try to rotate the viewport in rhino with middle mouse button instead of right mouse button and vice versa, but usually this happens just when you switch then a couple of minutes later I am adapted.

So, T,Y,H in LW and G,R,S in Blender. Space,R,Z in photoshop. Rhino is different and doesn’t really use shortcuts, there you type the command instead and use the gizmo a lot. I feel that most of the time the brain just switch mode together with the program and adapts.

This all brought to mind Joel Spolsky's commentary on making everything in the UI customisable in (vain) hopes of making everyone happy:

The trouble was, I don’t use one computer. I use all kinds of computers. I use other people’s computers. I use three computers fairly regularly at home and three at work. I use computers in the test lab at work. The trouble with customizing your environment is that it just doesn’t propagate, so it’s not even worth the trouble.

Most advanced users use several computers regularly; they upgrade their computer every couple of years, they reinstall their operating system every three weeks. It’s true that the first time they realized you could completely remap the keyboard in Word, they changed everything around to be more to their liking, but as soon as they upgraded to Windows 95 those settings got lost, and they weren’t the same at work, and eventually they just stopped reconfiguring things. I’ve asked a lot of my “power user” friends about this; hardly any of them do any customization other than the bare minimum necessary to make their system behave reasonably.

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/12/choices/
    I don't reinstall my OS every three weeks, but I do use 5 different systems regularly, and I no longer do more than the bare minimum when setting up custom configs. It just takes more effort than it's worth to maintain consistency otherwise.

One could argue that developers could make consistency 'easier', and cloud computing has moved us somewhat in that direction (albeit in somewhat hit and miss fashion), but still I've got too much work to do to spend time making sure my primary working apps all have their hair parted in exactly the same way. YMMV, but over time I've learned Spolsky's pragmatic approach to various aspects of UI implementation works for me.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")