Thread: Scan Converter Affecting Game Frame Rate

Scan Converter Affecting Game Frame Rate

Heya folks -

I've been playing around with Scan Converter over the past week or so as an attempt to work around the limitations of existing hardware capture cards. I'll first explain the set up, and then describe the issue I'm sometimes running into, if you'll bear with me.

Gaming Rig:
    • 7900X OC'd to 4.7GHz (and water cooled)
    • 2 GTX Titan X Pascal GPUs (OC'd and water cooled)
    • 64GB DDR4 RAM (OC'd to 4GHz)
    • tons of SSD storage

Streaming Rig:
    • 5960X
    • GTX 1050
    • Elgato 4K60 Pro capture card

These two machines are connected to the same GigE switch in my office. Networking throughput isn't an issue. Neither, really, is anything on the streaming rig. It's the gaming rig's performance that I'm having issues with. I'm pushing my two Titan GPUs close to their limits playing first person shooters in 4K at 140FPS, since I have a display that can handle that. Most times when I run Scan Converter in the background: the games just chug along happily at 140FPS without too much difficulty at all. Every so often, however, having SC running in the background can cost me upwards of 80(!) FPS in game.

That's... very bad. And I can't, for the life of me, figure out why. I kill SC and the frame rate recovers after ALT-TAB'ing back into the game. Start SC back up and the frame rate tanks again. I can't figure out what's putting my rig into this "funk", so I can't reproduce it at will. But when it does get into that "funk", there's little I can do to fix it except reboot.

It's Windows. Rebooting fixes everything, right? Ugh...

Anyway: I'm looking for suggestions as to what I might be able to keep an eye on, should I get into this situation again, where SC is costing me that much performance? I do have an overlay running (Playclaw) which I watch my CPU and GPU usage and temps. Neither seem to be out of whack when I'm having frame rate problems. Anything else I might be able to look at?

Have you tried another screen capture with NDI solution, like OBS+NDI? I got much better performance out of it than the newer version of Scan Converter, at least a few months ago.

Also make sure you have the latest NDI frameworks (from the 3.7 SDK/tools)
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by lukerctv View Post
    Have you tried another screen capture with NDI solution, like OBS+NDI? I got much better performance out of it than the newer version of Scan Converter, at least a few months ago.
    Yep, I have. It's worse from a streaming perspective. OBS runs into rendering lag due to the GPUs being worked, and frames get dropped. This gets transmitted over the network to the receiving OBS+NDI, and the stream sees: stuttering and frame dropping.

Also make sure you have the latest NDI frameworks (from the 3.7 SDK/tools)
    Yep. Installed.

I suspect NewTek would say something like "144fps at 4k via Scan Converter is an ambitious edge case that we can't really support"
    TriCaster TC1 #1
    TriCaster TC1 #2
    NC1 Studio I/O Module
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #1
    TriCaster Mini SDI Advanced #2
    Video Nerd