Thread: Using Spark with Fiber

Using Spark with Fiber

I'm wondering if anyone has had success using a Connect Spark with Cat5/Fiber converters. I had my Spark working great when I had it directly plugged into our switch in our production room, but I was unsuccessful when I tried to plug it in across our facility when it was connected via a Cat5-Fiber extender. Path is: Network switch > Cat5-Fiber Converter > Fiber Run > Fiber-Cat5 Converter > Connect Spark. I was able to confirm that the network connection works by plugging in a computer but for some reason I can't get it to pick up the Spark. My Spark has the latest firmware installed.

Any thoughts?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Which Cat5-Fiber converters are you using? I have a feeling they are gigabit only like some TPLinks are. Sparks are not gigabit only 10/100. Try a dumb autoswitching gigabit switch between the Spark and the media converter on the far side.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Which Cat5-Fiber converters are you using? I have a feeling they are gigabit only like some TPLinks are. Sparks are not gigabit only 10/100. Try a dumb autoswitching gigabit switch between the Spark and the media converter on the far side.
    I think you're right, this is what we're using: https://www.transition.com/products/...xx-110-series/

I work for a university and if I plug in a switch they'll shut down my VLAN so unfortunately I won't be able to try that haha