Thread: Same Audio On All Input Records

Same Audio On All Input Records

We have the Tricaster Mini SDI Advanced Edition and I can't figure out why all Input records cannot just capture program Audio that we are inputting via XLR. Is there a trick or something I'm missing to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Click the gear beneath Program window to access Output Configuration. For each MIX (1-4) you can select a VIDEO source, such as INPUT 3 to get camera 3, then set AUDIO to whatever source you want, such as INPUT 1 or simply MASTER. In RECORD settings, rather than recording INPUT 3, record the MIX that you'd assigned INPUT 3 to, and that should get you an ISO recording of camera 3, along with desired audio source you had assigned to that MIX.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

I will give it a try on Monday. Thanks

I was able to follow your steps to set up the records (thanks!). Next question, it seems like I would be limited realistically to three ISO records because Output 1 needs to get program right? Luckily we don't use the second out on the mini very often. Is there another way to configure the records with audio that are separate from what you set the outputs to?

You are either recording physical inputs or how the outputs are configured. If you are asking to record and output different than how it is configured in the Output tab, that is not possible. If you are running Advanced Edition 2, there are four outputs. If available, you can configure output 3 or 4 for your needs and record it.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

I don't see a problem - you CAN have PROGRAM on MIX1, and still record 4 camera ISO shots. In Record Config, each recording can be any MIX 1-4, or any INPUT 1-4. Meaning you can directly record the cameras* regardless of what any MIX is set to. I understand that you desire to have the SAME audio on every ISO-recording, and that is not going to be possible while still having a PROGRAM output. However, you will have same audio on 3 ISO-recordings, just not on a 4th. Please note that for purposes of editing these clips in your NLE software, all recordings start at same instant, so they are automatically all "in sync" with one another. Is there another pressing reason that they all MUST have the same audio embedded in the file?

I have recorded live events before and used 4 ISO-records of cameras, and then recorded the physical PROGRAM OUT from TriCaster using an Atomos Ninja recorder. The Black Magic Video Assist works similarly.

Also important to know is this - with AE, every camera physically connected to your TriCaster is automatically available then as NDI over the network (with original audio) in addition to the 4 MIX outputs of the TriCaster. And NDI sources CAN be recorded on another computer using a variety of software options such as Newtek NDI IsoCorder, OBS Studio with NDI plug-ins, vMix, etc. so that provides the option to record additional channels though such recordings would have to be manually started so will not perfectly match start time of internal TriCaster recordings.

* cannot ISO-record an NDI input, must be routed through a MIX first such as via an M/E

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I don't see a problem - you CAN have PROGRAM on MIX1, and still record 4 camera ISO shots. In Record Config, each recording can be any MIX 1-4, or any INPUT 1-4. Meaning you can directly record the cameras* regardless of what any MIX is set to. I understand that you desire to have the SAME audio on every ISO-recording, and that is not going to be possible while still having a PROGRAM output. However, you will have same audio on 3 ISO-recordings, just not on a 4th. Please note that for purposes of editing these clips in your NLE software, all recordings start at same instant, so they are automatically all "in sync" with one another. Is there another pressing reason that they all MUST have the same audio embedded in the file?

I have recorded live events before and used 4 ISO-records of cameras, and then recorded the physical PROGRAM OUT from TriCaster using an Atomos Ninja recorder. The Black Magic Video Assist works similarly.

Also important to know is this - with AE, every camera physically connected to your TriCaster is automatically available then as NDI over the network (with original audio) in addition to the 4 MIX outputs of the TriCaster. And NDI sources CAN be recorded on another computer using a variety of software options such as Newtek NDI IsoCorder, OBS Studio with NDI plug-ins, vMix, etc. so that provides the option to record additional channels though such recordings would have to be manually started so will not perfectly match start time of internal TriCaster recordings.

* cannot ISO-record an NDI input, must be routed through a MIX first such as via an M/E

Thanks

Jeff
    We give clients the files post event and many aren't up to date on their editing skills, so that's the reason I'm trying to get audio everywhere. We have record decks, was just curious if there was a way to accomplish this easily. Thank you for all the help!