Thread: Lightwave 2020 NEW GUI

My Idea of a intuitive interface, did this in my spare time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_04.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	143087

Most of the tools need to be combined / refined / beefed up / debugged

A lot of the tools in lightwave are hidden and need to be iconed, and prominent, like:

1) Action centre (mouse +F5, origin +F6 etc)

2) Co-ordinated system (local/world)

3) Pivot tool

A contextual menu where you combine similar tools and place an icon next to them as a visual clue to their function.

Another screen shot

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_03.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	143088

Really don’t see the point of icons and text, waste’s too much screen space......
    However I do like the clean/fresh look..
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2018

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    Really don’t see the point of icons and text, waste’s too much screen space......
    However I do like the clean/fresh look..
    I disagree, both icon and text is ideal in my opinion, but of course it will be individual as well.
    The thing is, an icon will lead you faster to the desired tool(in most cases), and the text will shut down any question you have about being the right tool or not.

That said, I think it only works on horisontal menus and shelfs..that is to have both text and icons.
    The Ideal UI for me is houdinis shelf.

If we could have either icons or text in a left vertical menu, but once clicked on it´s category, or a little icon next to the labeled category to click up all the tools in the menu within a shelf...this would also allow to jam packmany many tools without hiding it under more drop downs, and you would instead either scroll in the shelf, or zoom scroll to get smaller icons and thus more buttons to choose from, this would be optional and the tools would still be able to run verticly as buttons in the left menu.

With expandable left menus, for the categorys, we could expand or collapse the category menu to the left to have more category menus available within a small area, and just click on it and you will have a shelf with all tools within that category instead.

Quote Originally Posted by motiondigital View Post
    My Idea of a intuitive interface, did this in my spare time:

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_04.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	543.6 KB 
ID:	143087

Most of the tools need to be combined / refined / beefed up / debugged

A lot of the tools in lightwave are hidden and need to be iconed, and prominent, like:

1) Action centre (mouse +F5, origin +F6 etc)

2) Co-ordinated system (local/world)

3) Pivot tool

A contextual menu where you combine similar tools and place an icon next to them as a visual clue to their function.
    Nice

Another screen shot

Name:	new-lightwave-interface_03.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	143088
    I really like this and the other image UI mockup, quite clean and good icons, though I think it can be polished.
    I would start by toning down the blue highlight color for the representation of what tab/menu is selected, I think it should only differentiate from what is not selected..and not popup distract in such way
    it may do right now with that very saturated blue color.

However..I see an issue with only one model tab, and trying to fit all tools in the left menu, for a more wider view of as many menus and tabs as possible, I think it should try and work the same as in modeler..if we are to get a full set of modeling tools in Layout.
    This means a main menu that runs horisontally from left to right Once a model button is checked, otherwise you would have to stack so much of it under more drop down lists, or we have to make the left menu expand and collapsable...As in blender, switch to a layout UI form, and you will have the same stuff as we do now...it´s just a switch that is needed.

God forbid ..I do not want to see the modo and blender vertical unreadable tabs with letters going verticly rotated -90 degrees..which set´s each category.

Looks like CORE.

Name:	carfighter_001.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	143100

Newbie Member
    please leave lightwave GUI alone!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSTXuJeTks

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Looks like CORE.

Name:	carfighter_001.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	143100
    Not that much really, only similarity is that the left menu has icon and text and no button framing, and that style is commonly used with other software today, the upper menu and the rest is completly different.
    I thought the core UI sucked, and that this particular UI mockup actually looks much better, it´s softer/cleaner, and the main menu is divided in to tabs..unlike core, which actually pronounces what you have selected as a working area.

Almost 9 years ago since Matt Gorner presented his experimental UI, It seems that not much of it has made it into 2018.
    http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx2/

I really like the UI design you made @motiondigital!

Reminds me a little bit of one of Matt Gorners alternative vx2 designs: http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx...lass_Theme.png

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Nilsson View Post
    I really like the UI design you made @motiondigital!

Reminds me a little bit of one of Matt Gorners alternative vx2 designs: http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx...lass_Theme.png
    Agree.

One thing I do not like with the highlighted edges in the tabs in the UI, and it is the same with new firefox tabs, it was there on the core tabs, it is there in make human UI, and it is there in the sample image of the glass theme,
    I simply get annoyed and think it looks awful when you have a tab selected, which in many cases is highlighted as a full tab anyway..why the double indication highlight.

If this UI wasn´t faked in terms of the Nodes, then the nodes looked far better than what we got today, still no smooth rubberband connections..as seen here.

Another screen shot
    Well done mock ups, clean and pleasing UI.

The ones at the beginning of the thread by the original poster are the complete opposite.

There are small companies or individuals coming up with new tools having great and functional UI designs in weeks or months. Nothing was done for LW for many years. It actually got worse in some parts.

Docking / undocking, expanding / collapsing, duplicating and locking panels, free positioning, custom layouts / workspaces, customizable, context-sensitive and scalable menus and palettes (rows, orientation, size, Text / Icon / Icon&Text) should be the very basic foundation of any 2D or 3D application's UI today. Same goes for Undo of course.
    Last edited by Marander; Today at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Almost 9 years ago since Matt Gorner presented his experimental UI, It seems that not much of it has made it into 2018.
    http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_vx2/
    Interesting find. Well that says a lot.

Text from that ancient page (and I find these ideas would not have been much of an improvement even back then in 2002 - 2010):

"The original vX project started back in 2002, as an exercise in UI design for NewTek's LightWave 3D application, and was made public in February 2003.

The goals of the project were to suggest ideas that could help bring LightWave's interface up to date both visually, and more importantly, made it easier and faster to use for new and old users alike.

Until recently, the vX project was somewhat of a pipe dream as LightWave's architecture was far too old to allow such ideas."

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

then the nodes looked far better than what we got today, still no smooth rubberband connections..as seen here.
    Not sure I follow. Maybe not the best AA in the world, but pretty "rubberbandy" to me.

Name:	Splines.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	143104
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12