Thread: TC1 unreliable w/ Recording shows

TC1 unreliable w/ Recording shows

We have a two-month-old TC1. We've experienced issues several times with the machine failing to record our complete news show which is often 10 min/day.

Two days ago the record button (on screen) froze after a few seconds. Today, the machine only recorded 3 minutes of an 11 minute show.

*The YouTube stream worked just fine.

Today

We pre-recorded a segment that we then show during the live show. The pre-record and the live show recording are on the same hard drive.

My hunch is that there's a conflict between the read and the write. So it just quits writing the show file.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the cause of this. Is there a log file to look at?
    Last edited by DarrenWhitley; 10-11-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Have you ever updated the TriCaster software? Likely shipped with software that is a year or two old, and often an update will fix lots of bad things.

When in the LIVE interface, press ALT-B and installed driver version number will show at top of screen, please share with us.

There is a possibility of a flaky hard drive, but I'd certainly try new software first. Or even a New Session, as it is possible for them to get corrupted and have weird problems. Also, why not move the pre-recorded clip or record destination to a different drive, since you have two of them (D: and E

That brings up another question in my head now - what format is the prerecorded clip, and was it imported using the Importer, which will transcode clips if need be? If DDR clip is something TriCaster is struggling with, perhaps that is the issue then?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Alt-B = 180913

The TC1 has been updated a couple times already.

The pre-recorded clip was recorded just 20-min earlier by the TC1 at the beginning of class.

The TC1 is recording .mov files. *HUGE files

I agree with the record to one drive/source video from another idea.

We have had this issue as well on another session/show entirely a few weeks ago.

The drives in TC1 should have no problem recording and playing from same drive, designed that way. For instance, I will be making 4 .mov recordings at once (2 per drive) and then grab instant replay clips from live recording into DDR and play those back while still recording and never a hiccup, nor should there be. I did a 3-hr 4th of July Parade for TV in a very hot trailer with 4 recordings, DDR clip playback and instant replay going and no hiccups at all for those 3 hours.

Perhaps assign BOTH the recording and DDR playback to other drive and if it works great, then the first drive would be suspect and you could contact Newtek Support for further troubleshooting/resolution if drive appears to be unreliable.

The .mov files are purposely large and they have far less compression than say H.264 (.mp4) clips. Reason being, many users want/need that higher-quality file from which to edit and transcode to other delivery formats, so you don't want to start with an overly-compressed file. The other reason for .mov is that H.264 takes a LOT of CPU power to encode, since the compression is very complex to shrink the file size. No way TriCaster could encode 4 simultaneous channels of H.264, not because of hard drives but because processor would not keep up (along with trying to do all the other amazing things TC1 does).

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenWhitley View Post
    The TC1 is recording .mov files. *HUGE files
    Just as an historic note, these files are a fraction of the size they used to be, and storage media has never been cheaper. I'll grant that this always comes as a shock when people are used to working with insanely compressed formats better suited to distribution than production.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for all the feedback. We will continue to monitor and evaluate the performance in the coming week.

DW

For what it's worth I had a small USB drive in when I created a session and setup recording all four camera's and what I didn't realize was that it automatically used all the drives it saw. Then when I removed the usb drive the config did not update. the behavior was that when I hit record it would start recording and show the numbers progressing but then after about 15 seconds it would put up a notice stating that one of the drives had run out of space and it would stop recording that particular Channel while the rest continued. The drive wasn't even present let alone run out of space. I started making sure that the ISO stuck to D and E after that.

We're currently producing an all-school assembly. I switched the TC1 to record on the second hard drive. After 9 min, it stopped recording. Again, the stream is rock solid.

I would take the latest log file and search around that time period for any errors. You can then use that to reach out to support or report a bug etc.