Thread: Squeeze a ball through a hole.

Squeeze a ball through a hole.

I'm looking for a little help on how to set up squeezing a sphere through a hole in another object. I know I've seen demos of things squeezing/being deformed as they pass through another object but I can't remember how it is done. Looking for advise on what the easiest way is to set something up like this in 2018.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

I guess it depends on how much time you need to spend on it. I've used cloth FX, bullet, and deformations in 2015. I haven't had to use 2018, but I'm assuming all the methods still apply. Deforming using a null and effector for making a sphere move through a cylinder shape to swell it.

It might not meet your needs, but you might be able to use the Deformation modifier Taper. LW2018 sample scene attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole013.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	143065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole023.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	143066 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole028.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	143067

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole035.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	143068 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole045.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	143069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SqueezeBallThroughHole060.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	143070

SqueezeBallThroughHole.mov

The setup is to create two Nulls called TaperBase and TaperHandle. You then use the Ball's Object Properties=>Add Modifier to add the Deform:Taper deformation handler. Double-click on it to get the options panel, specify the TaperBase and TaperHandle nulls, and in this case I chose the Ease Out preset curve shape and the Z axis:

Name:	TaperDeformer_SetupWithControlNulls.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	143072

The Taper deformer is controlled with the Scale of the control nulls. TaperBase null is placed down the -Z axis and remains scaled to (1,1,1) throughout the animation. The TaperHandle null is scaled down to squeeze the Ball through the hole in the plate. Both TaperBase and TaperHandle are moved up and down the Z axis to control the animation as the Ball moves down the Z axis.

Here's a Top view Preview showing the movement of the TaperBase (green) null and the TaperHandle (yellow) nulls:

SqueezeBallThroughHole_TopView_TaperDeformerNullMovement.mov

The scale "wobble" after the Ball comes through the hole was keyframed on the Ball's scale channels.

Although it's fairly quick to setup and control, the Deform:Taper modifier may not give you as much control as you need, but may be worty a try.

mTp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 10-10-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Sample scene is LW2018; typo

3rd Powers Lattice Deformer can work for this: http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lattice_preview.gif 
Views:	170 
Size:	395.3 KB 
ID:	143075  

LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    3rd Powers Lattice Deformer can work for this: http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

Ain't that soo smooth, a lovely example.

I hope he got some more plugs up his sleeve?

I can do this in Cinema, Max, Modo, Blender and possibly export .mdd too. Shame for such a simple thing you either have to wrestle displacement nodes or buy a separate plugin.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    I can do this in Cinema, Max, Modo, Blender and possibly export .mdd too. Shame for such a simple thing you either have to wrestle displacement nodes or buy a separate plugin.
    I cannot recall the method but I vaguely recall this was one of the exercises taught when I was learning LW on Amiga, without any third party add-ons.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    You don´t
    You can do it with Lightwave bullet deforming body. for initial test I did within some minutes, you should use shape lock and a shape retention value, turn off gravity if you want to manually just move the ball through the hole., (unless using a kinematic item to hold it during gravity and then push it.
    Use a lower frame rate initially to get decent realtime respons, and raise it later when playing the sim for more accurate behavior, set a high linear stiffness..if not 100%, volume scaling and conservation maybe 100%