Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LW2019 - Layout viewport performance with active modifiers fixed - Thank you NewTek!

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    2018 has had 6 mini updates, more than any other software developer normally releases, and more stable than most other software I use.

For instance, 3dsMax 2018 had 4 mini updates, all of which have bugs that mean you can't use the tool. Weld for example, when done on an Edit Poly modifier, will crash immediately! Yeah, pretty terrible... LightWave has many less developers, much less capital behind it, yet at least I can still weld in LW without a crash.

Well that's what software developers are supposed to do when they release software that's riddled with bugs like 2018 was. But aside from that, Houdini releases daily builds, Blender has daily builds, Modo has dozens of maintenance builds per year around their 3 feature releases per year. As far as 2018.4 on max, it had over 100 bug fixes. So not sure on that LW releases more bugfixes than any other developer.

And you can weld in LW without a bug because that tool is over 20 years old and they've barely touched modeler in that 20 years. Not surprising its stable by now, wouldn't you say?

- - - Updated - - -

2018 has had 6 mini updates, more than any other software developer normally releases, and more stable than most other software I use.

For instance, 3dsMax 2018 had 4 mini updates, all of which have bugs that mean you can't use the tool. Weld for example, when done on an Edit Poly modifier, will crash immediately! Yeah, pretty terrible... LightWave has many less developers, much less capital behind it, yet at least I can still weld in LW without a crash.

Well that's what software developers are supposed to do when they release software that's riddled with bugs like 2018 was. But aside from that, Houdini releases daily builds, Blender has daily builds, Modo has dozens of maintenance builds per year around their 3 feature releases per year. As far as 2018.4 on max, it had over 100 bug fixes. So not sure on that LW releases more bugfixes than any other developer.

And you can weld in LW without a bug because that tool is over 20 years old and they've barely touched modeler in that 20 years. Not surprising its stable by now, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    As for Sliders, I just looked and those arrow heads are no longer mentioned in the documentation (I'm guessing since they don't work they want to draw attention to them) but they are supposed to nudge the slider control value 0.01 left or right upon clicking, but they don't do anything.
    Thanks for pointing out the lack of documentation on those arrows. The wiki has been updated to include mention of what they do. It was confirmed that those arrows are functioning, and how, which is to jump to the previous and next keyframe for the given channel's envelope (this behavior dates back to at least 2006).

Thanks again.
    Ken Nign

Quote Originally Posted by DuneBoy View Post
    It was confirmed that those arrows are functioning, and how, which is to jump to the previous and next keyframe for the given channel's envelope (this behavior dates back to at least 2006).

Thanks again.
    Just checked this and you're right, so my apologies for thinking otherwise. I'm very sure I read somewhere that those arrow heads were meant to nudge the slider 0.01 left or right to give fine control but I can't recall where I read it. So I withdraw that issues as the buttons do work, just not as I thought. My other issues with Sliders stands.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneBoy View Post
    The wiki has been updated to include mention of what they do.
    ??? Which wiki is that??
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ??? Which wiki is that??
    Sorry, the docs site: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/

It's wiki-ish, so I'm used to thinking of it as 'the docs wiki'.
    Ken Nign

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland View Post
    Create a Cube in Modeller, save the object.
    Create a Sphere in Modeller, save the object.
    Load the Cube into Layout and apply FiberFX to it. Save the scene and object.
    New scene in Layout, load the Sphere and apply FiberFX. Save the scene and object.
    New Scene in Layout. Load From Scene the cube. Turn on VPR and you'll see it fine with all the FiberFX stuff on it.
    Load From Scene the sphere. CRASH!
    If you have VPR turned off and load the two objects they will appear fine in the scene without the FiberFX applied to them but then pressed F9 to render, CRASH!!

Newtek tech support as acknowledged this is a bug and has been around since 2018.0.2, still present in 2018.0.6. Works fine in Lightwave 2015.
    Okay... I just followed your example.

Created and saved fiber_testSphere. Created and saved fiber_testCube.

Brought fiber_testCube into Layout and applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as cubeFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Brought fiber_testSphere into Layout, applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as sphereFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Loaded cubeFiber.lws and its primitve from cubeFiber.lws.

Loaded fiber_testSphere and its primitive from sphereFiber.lws.

Opened FiberFX, activated fibers for fiber_testSphere and fiber_testCube.

Loaded sphereFiber.ffs to the sphere and cubeFiber.ffs to the cube. All fiber settings now back to normal.

Running 2018.0... no update.

Rendered. Render complete, elapsed time 26m 13s.

fiber_testSphere GUIDES: 288 FIBERS: 300000 EDGES: 14400000 fiber_testCube GUIDES: 6 FIBERS: 750000 EDGES: 36000000

All of that said; I do not doubt that you encountered the issues you reported. I am trying to figure out why I am NOT encountering them, in an effort to figure out why you are.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Okay... I just followed your example.

Created and saved fiber_testSphere. Created and saved fiber_testCube.

Brought fiber_testCube into Layout and applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as cubeFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Brought fiber_testSphere into Layout, applied FiberFX. Adjusted settings, saved as sphereFiber.lws. Saved fiber settings as ffs file. Cleared scene.

Loaded cubeFiber.lws and its primitve from cubeFiber.lws.

Loaded fiber_testSphere and its primitive from sphereFiber.lws.

Opened FiberFX, activated fibers for fiber_testSphere and fiber_testCube.

Loaded sphereFiber.ffs to the sphere and cubeFiber.ffs to the cube. All fiber settings now back to normal.

Running 2018.0... no update.

Rendered. Render complete, elapsed time 26m 13s.

fiber_testSphere GUIDES: 288 FIBERS: 300000 EDGES: 14400000 fiber_testCube GUIDES: 6 FIBERS: 750000 EDGES: 36000000

All of that said; I do not doubt that you encountered the issues you reported. I am trying to figure out why I am NOT encountering them, in an effort to figure out why you are.
    Because if you read the whole post he said it was introduced in 2018.0.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    Because if you read the whole post he said it was introduced in 2018.0.2.
    I guess we both missed it... because I told him I was using 2018.0 in the post he replied to and he provided me with detailed instructions. Soooo.... rollback?
    Last edited by RPSchmidt; 10-12-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    I guess we both missed it... because I told him I was using 2018.0 in the post he replied to and he provided me with detailed instructions. Soooo.... rollback?
    Rolling back to 2018.0 means reverting a bunch of critical GI/rendering, Bullet, and FFX fixes as well, so likely isn't a viable option here.

They need to fix the issue. Just leaving FFX LFS broken and "moving on" isn't really acceptable, esp. as this issue is clearly a regression caused by something they did in LW2018 dev cycle.
    Last edited by jwiede; 10-12-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Rolling back to 2018.0 means reverting a bunch of critical GI/rendering, Bullet, and FFX fixes as well, so likely isn't a viable option here.

They need to fix the issue. Just leaving FFX LFS broken and "moving on" isn't really acceptable, esp. as this issue is clearly a regression caused by something they did in LW2018 dev cycle.
    Huh.... I was under the impression that each update was a standalone. Isn't it possible to have both 2018.0 and 2018.06 installed?

Certainly not.the ideal solution but at least you would be able to continue work.

Of course, they should definitely fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, other devs do daily builds, unreal releases tonnes, very often too.
    If they did this with 3ds Max I simply wouldn't even bother downloading each update. They take a good hour to install each time, and that's on a mega fast SSD. Anyway... As far as being able to weld using a tool, you're now plucking at another string, which is totally irrelevant in terms of getting work done.
    My argument was, other developers release FINAL builds of a major version number, which are unusable, and don't update a pretty major bug like welding vertices. It happens... to all developers, and we have to report it... Then it'll get fixed.

I wasn't actually saying Newtek release more bug fixes per year than any developer, I was meant to put any other software I use... the other major application that I use is 3dsmax, so I naturally compared it to that.
    Newtek will most likely never do daily public builds, but with daily builds you do run into problems.

You also say 2018 was riddled with bugs... No more than other tools. I've been using it in production and despite finding one or two annoyances, there are workarounds which I employed and it worked absolutely fine.

I still don't understand why you hang around here still, being negative and stuff? All you're doing is being overly negative about literally anything, around a forum which is users of THIS software tool. You would NEVER see me over on the Modo forum spouting negative comments, because it's just quite rude. Maybe rudeness is different where you're from?
    Last edited by lardbros; 10-13-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

I still don't understand why you hang around here still, being negative and stuff? All you're doing is being overly negative about literally anything, around a forum which is users of THIS software tool. You would NEVER see me over on the Modo forum spouting negative comments, because it's just quite rude. Maybe rudeness is different where you're from?
    I'm only hanging around until I sell my LW 2015 license.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123