Thread: Intercom for communication question

Intercom for communication question

For our live stream using our TriCaster the video part of it is clear and simple. The audio is not as easy when it comes to the director talking to the camera people. At least it doesn't seem as simple.

I have a question that I hope the experts on here can help me with. I am trying to get our communication system for our sports broadcasting to work in another building around 1 mile away using Dante. I have a clearcom system in our studio and plan on hooking that up to an Eartec headset system in the other building. Eartec has an interface that hooks into the Clearcom audio and converts it or something and then that goes into a hub that transmits the wireless signal to the headsets.
    We are going to use the Dante system to transmit the audio from our studio to the other building and back for crosstalk. My design guy seems to think that I will need more than what Eartec offers to get audio back and forth. He says the question then would be how to separate the intercom transmit and receive audio. With only one audio line, I don't know how you would handle bidirectional audio. Does anyone know if the Eartec system with the Clearcom interface needs anymore gear to make it work?

My designer seems to think it needs some more equipment. Since not using the Eartec system before he is not sure how it will work. Here is what he thinks:....."At the remote site (new gym) it gets a little more ambiguous for me because I can't find many details on Eartec's website about their products. It looks like their interface is designed to plug into an intercom line with one cable and then another cable plugs into the hub for the headsets. It doesn't look like it's designed for line level audio (but you might talk to your rep to see if they have a product that would work that way). What I think you might have to do on the gym side would be to pull the line level audio off the Dante line (which would be an in and an out with transmit and receive audio and then take that to another TW-47 interface. That would take it back into the Clearcom world, but you'd also have to have a power supply (this would be the cheapest: http://clearcom.com/product/pk-7/) to power the interface and drive the line that hits the Eartec device."

Is there anyone out there that knows? Eartec doesn't know how it will work with the Dante system.

Which eartec product exactly are you talking about ?

Im not familar with the Eartec device, but at my last job we used Dante to shuttle Clearcom intercom back and forth from the sports stadiums to the the main arena. We actually have an RTS Zuess in the main arena, we were RTS there, converted it to Clearcom, into Dante, Dante on site and then into Clearcom at the stadiums. Soccer, Baseball and Softball. Basketball and Volleyball were in the main arena and control room. So it sounds like you are on the right track. The biggest issue you might have is audio levels. Sometimes the audio would get a little tinny and we would have to reboot the Dante. That usually fixed it. We actually have announcer audio come down the second channel of the Dante, as we did all replay from the main control room using NDI. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

I know you’re looking at using your existing equipment but it may be worth looking into Unity Intercom. We just started using it this year and it’s solved a lot of issues we needed to tackle with our pre-existing intercom system. Users download the free app to their smartphones/iPods/iPads/desktop app and use those to wirelessly connect to the server app running on a Mac. Lots of flexibility and upgradeable options. You can run it on WiFi or even cell data.
    Jeremy Brandt
    TV/Video Teacher
    Voorhees High School, NJ
    http://www.VoorheesTV.com

TriCaster Mini - Advanced Edition
    TriCaster Mini Control Surface
    Primary Cameras - JVC GY-HM750

I am using the Eartec Ultra lite wireless headphone set.

The Eartec system has a device that is called a Clear-Com interface that converts the signal and puts it into a hub that puts it out wirelessly to our headphones. It works great. We just need to get it to our venue with Dante.

I recommend you look at Clear-Com LQ. That's Clear-Com IP interface, which allows multiple communications system to be connected other over the public internet. We have independent Clear-Com systems in each of our facilities, and use LQ units to connect them. It's very easy to use.