Thread: movidiam.com/blog

movidiam.com/blog

Came across this.

Shame if Luis moved to Blender. He does GREAT stuff in LW.

https://www.movidiam.com/blog/1028/l...018--tutorials

https://www.movidiam.com/blog/1068/l...ter-and-udim-s

Looks to me like he is considering the dates and content.

https://www.movidiam.com/blog/1274/-...ing-with-eevee

https://www.movidiam.com/blog/1110/look-at-my-drawers

I prefer the LW render in the cycles/LW comparison.

"With all the materials, cameras and lights in place I thought it would be interesting to see how Lightwave 2018 and Blender Cycles renderer’s compare, given a now very similar Principled BSDF shader setup. Lightwave was setup with an environment light, area lights to emit blue from the screens, a spherical light for the desk lamp on no GI. Blender using emissive surfaces and a textured environment, with all render elements as default apart from increasing the pathtracing samples to 400 (I’m new to Cycles rendering). The Lightwave 2018 render took ~30mins on a stock i7 4930k restricted to 8 cores as did the GPU compute render from Cycles on a single GTX 1080. However, I’m aware this is not a apples to apples comparison as, amoung many other things, Lightwave isn’t using any multi bounce GI."

from this link: https://www.movidiam.com/blog/1068/l...ter-and-udim-s

Some good tut and info there from Luis. (If reading, thanks for making those.)

He's not alone. I see a lot a familiar faces on the blender forums. When you have gone over the first threshold and starting to understand blender there is no going back to LW. When I come back to Lw I sometimes think that the program has crashed until I realise that I have an option dialog open and can not do anything until I close it.

He seems to use Lightwave in conjunction with other software, preferring a faster render in Blender. Looking at his stuff, I do like the way he isn't "deskbound" and not afraid to pull out a camera and take photos or video. It made me wonder, do many LW users here find themselves "out and about" with a DSLR or video camera ?

I don't know but I do know this is another take note moment for LW dev.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    I don't know but I do know this is another take note moment for LW dev.
    Such departures lost their novelty a long time ago.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

I must admit that I prefer Octane over Cycles.
    Somehow easier to control and seems less noise/fireflies overall.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    I must admit that I prefer Octane over Cycles.
    Somehow easier to control and seems less noise/fireflies overall.
    Interesting. I've been using Cycles4D (Cycles for C4D) since beta, and have always been quite impressed with it. I've had an Octane license forever, but find Cycles generally easier to use and easier to get decent results compared to Octane, at least w.r.t. C4D. Apples and oranges, I guess, I've not really used Cycles much in Blender proper. Still, I definitely find myself gravitating more to Cycles than Octane given the choice. They're both excellent renderers, just differences in personal workflow and UX "fit" I suspect.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Quite possibly. I mean I can only compare with what I saw animation wise. Know one guy, very good Blender artist(I left Blender before the whole new UI started) and could compare his animations to mine. If you do a lot of glossy stuff there seems to be noise that's not so easy to remove. While both renderers seems to behave rather badly with glass surfaces - typical 800 samples and 4-8 specular samples won't cut. The denoiser kinda help but it's not really lowering rendering times.

Not aaying cycles is bad just Octane seems to be easier to use I think.

Hopefully will be able to investigate more in the future.