Thread: Texture

Texture

I went online to download a texture. I want a brown hair texture. I made sure the texture is a jpeg image so I can open my texture in LightWave. When I move the texture to my desktop I try to see if the texture will open in Lightwave Modeler. When I open the surface editor to load my texture. I open up the Surface Editor. On the top right hand corner of the Surface Editor I change the material from Principled BSDF to Standard. Ok now on the side I have the E and T buttons enabled. I click on the T button on the first row which says Color. After I click on the T button and then I go to find the image in the texture editor. And the image which I downloaded is greyed out even though it was a jpeg image. How do I get the greyed out image to open?

Are you sure you have read permissions for that location?

Are you perhaps running LW as admin, and attempting to access a network location? If so, admin-elevated apps don't have same access perms as user-level apps when it comes to network resources ("split-token issue") and that could be causing the problem.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

I've downloaded jpeg's that won't load into photoshop. Luckily I also have Affinity Photo which loads them fine and resaved them as.jpg. My guess is you have the same thing going on. Something is up with the format.

@Rizwan, have you tried just dragging and dropping the image icon over Layout or Modeler to load it?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (398.36, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Check to see if it is CMYK - LW doesn't like them. Needs to be RGB.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

I'm not sure if a jpeg image can be CMYK. I could be wrong about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    I'm not sure if a jpeg image can be CMYK. I could be wrong about that though.
    It most certainly can. And LW doesn't like them.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

A link to the texture could explain a lot.

If the image opens in Photoshop, "export" in newer versions or "save for web" in older versions to JPG. This process can strip cruddy metadata and ensure you have a RGB image (not CMYK).
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 10-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.