Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TC1: Way to enable sound on chopped clips?

TC1: Way to enable sound on chopped clips?

Hello,

Hoping I am just being blind but is there a way to re-enable the sound on a chopped clip? On the TC1 I use the chop feature for the basic replay with show on program and during the games I absolutely do not want the sound to come through. However at the end of the night I would like to take the highlights and play out the highlights with the original sound/commentary so my clients can upload the footage to their youtube etc. If I remove the clip and re-add to the DDR it will include the sound but then I have to go re-edit the in/outpoints. I see where I can set the volume but that does not appear to have any impact until I bring the clip back in.

Thanks!

Hi,

sorry if I don't really understand what you mean. I tried on my system by using on of the pads in the record section to get last 5 seconds of record into DDR2, and I get the sound from that clip player as well. I have to mute the DDR2 output tab to avoid having audio on playback....

also tried directly with the record_chop command in macro editor as well.....

That doesn't seem right, as Doctor Sunshine stated you ought to have sound in replay clips. Maybe a bad software version - what are you running?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    That doesn't seem right, as Doctor Sunshine stated you ought to have sound in replay clips. Maybe a bad software version - what are you running?

Thanks

Jeff

This has been the behavior since I started using the TC1 back in January. I am currently on a beta build from October 2nd. With that said. How is this not by design? If I take a 10 second replay by clicking the chop buttons at the top and audio was always included during the replay I would hear what ever the commentators said when it was live as well as what ever they were saying currently which I definitely wouldn't want.

You are assuming that because YOU don't want/need audio in your replays, that no one would need/want audio. The reverse is true - Newtek is providing the replay audio, and the user then has the OPTION to not use that audio. If it was not included, that would be a HUGE issue for many users with no solution! In your case, open Audio Mixer and click MUTE for the DDR. Problem solved.

I actually just did a RESTORE on my TC1 last week and have not yet re-installed newer software so can't verify the current behavior you are seeing, but when I add REPLAY clips to DDR then play them, they always have sound, whether still recording, stopped recording, or whether played using Show on Program or regular playback. I have sound in every instance.

That doesn't answer the question of why the clips on YOUR machine have no audio, because they most certainly ought to. Which source(s) are you recording? If you are iso-recording a certain camera input and that input has no audio, that might explain it. But it seems like you get audio back if you re-import the clip to the DDR again?

I'm lost

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    Hi,

sorry if I don't really understand what you mean. I tried on my system by using on of the pads in the record section to get last 5 seconds of record into DDR2, and I get the sound from that clip player as well. I have to mute the DDR2 output tab to avoid having audio on playback....
    Yeah I guess that is the behavior I am looking for and could work with muting and unmuting the ddr as needed but I have never had to mute it. Odd that you guys are seeing what I want...

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    You are assuming that because YOU don't want/need audio in your replays, that no one would need/want audio. The reverse is true - Newtek is providing the replay audio, and the user then has the OPTION to not use that audio. If it was not included, that would be a HUGE issue for many users with no solution! In your case, open Audio Mixer and click MUTE for the DDR. Problem solved.

Jeff

Yes, What one wants another may not. I am actually just looking for the flexibility. But I would be assuming most would want a replay muted by default.

You may indeed be on to something with the ISO audio sources. The recorders are the SDI inputs 1-3 and then the final one being Mix1. I will go back and look but I thought I had set the audio to Master on all things but maybe that was just the stream channels 1 and 2. If that is not the case it could be possible that 3 of my inputs are simply silent. I record openings for most of the shows and once they hit a good one I click the chop for mix1 which definitely has audio. I still don't hear audio playback until I click the + icon, browse to the clip folder of my project and select mix1 file and it gets added. At that point that clip has audio for me.

I will review my ISO audio settings in the record section along with trying a fresh setting to make sure I don't have something else in the way.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

But if it is a case of recording sources with no audio, re-adding them to the DDR would not add audio that wasn't recorded to begin with. So there must be audio getting recorded or it would never be available.
    Jeff Pulera

Hi,

So I confirmed that ISO setup does not offer the ability to select a different audio input. So Cameras 1 and 3 do not have audio input. Camera 2 does have the audio source via embedded audio in the SDI feed. The forth ISO is MIX1 which does have audio from the cam2 embedded audio. (Audio Chan 2 set to embedded).

The items I have been taking the time to re-add are when I chop mix1 (program). I record the game opening with sound and once they get a good take a chop that. However I still do not hear the audio when I play back and DDR2 has its audio levels up. I then click the + Icon and select the mix1 ISO record from the hard drive and now the audio is playing back. I now trim as needed.

Re-adding cam1 however does not contain audio either way. I don't see the ability to tell the iso corder to use master audio for all the camera inputs. I could setup the 3 cameras on the outputs with the program audio but I already use the outputs for other items so I don't have enough to spare at the moment so I will re-evaluate that setup.

Since you guys have confirmed this is not normal behavior I will roll back to the latest stable build and try that. If it starts working as expected I will file a bug for the beta that I have.

Thanks for your time everyone!

If not using your M/Es, maybe select ISO camera source in an M/E, and assign that M/E to a MIX, adding audio source of choice, then record that MIX to get the iso-recording with desired sound?

You can assign any of the 4 audio mixes to any output mix, or any of the audio inputs can be used as well, like Input 1 from XLR sound board.

Thanks
    Jeff Pulera

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Don’t know if this helps but you can also change the input audio source to any audio input as well as any NDI audio or dante

- - - Updated - - -

Just remember to turn off routing on master, aux 1-3 so that the audio only records on the ISO does not come back into the mix
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Andrew Carlson
    Also remember that if you're running any kind of slow-mo, that the audio won't be used (speed is not 100%).

When I chop the clip the default is indeed slow motion (75%) and then I right click it and set it to 100%

Will check if this solves the mystery!

Don't change speed in Record > Replay panel, set speed globally in the DDR being used for replay.
    Jeff Pulera

That makes sense I will try it out I will then probably switch to using macros to chop set slow motion Etc for when I am in game verses doing the intro. the question will be is if the sound remains when I switch back to a hundred percent. basically I want slow motion during the game but then I want to take those highlights at regular speed for the recap with sound. I will still have to figure out how to get sound on all of the inputs instead of just mix. I am already using one of the outputs for an Emmy so maybe I can use the remaining ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast