Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any LWavers using game engines?

Any LWavers using game engines?

Any using or not using?

Yes. Unity 3D - first game being released soon. Clickteam Fusion - my game Dungeoneer was made in it.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Unity, all day erryday

(and Unreal on some days)

-Chilton

I’ve used Unity together with Lightwave to do games, apps, AR & VR. I don’t use LW that much anymore but I used it a long time. One big feature missing in LW is the vertex normals support in fbx and I’ve reported the issue since LW 9 and NT doesn’t seem interested to fix this so I moved on. It’s a very important feature when working with CAD models. Other than that, they work fine together.

I use Unity.

Godot engine. Wonderful concept of nested hierarchical scenes, which just clicked with me. I worked in Unity before that, but since my main interest lies in 2d game design and dev, Godot's native 2d support just works better. Unity is a pig to use for 2d stuff (in my opinion).

Open source and free, with powerful built-in animation timelines and tweening. Even rigged 2d cut-out characters are supported out-of-the-box (with rigging included!).

https://godotengine.org/
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Godot engine. Wonderful concept of nested hierarchical scenes, which just clicked with me. I worked in Unity before that, but since my main interest lies in 2d game design and dev, Godot's native 2d support just works better. Unity is a pig to use for 2d stuff (in my opinion).

Open source and free, with powerful built-in animation timelines and tweening. Even rigged 2d cut-out characters are supported out-of-the-box (with rigging included!).

https://godotengine.org/
    I did test Godot and actually was prepared to ditch Unity as I really love the idea and concept but for me (mainly doing 3d games) it fell short quite quick. I'm back to unity where I can make 3d games so much faster.
    I should add that I don't like to code and the visual scripting in Godot felt buggy and slow compared to Playmaker in Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I did test Godot and actually was prepared to ditch Unity as I really love the idea and concept but for me (mainly doing 3d games) it fell short quite quick. I'm back to unity where I can make 3d games so much faster.
    I should add that I don't like to code and the visual scripting in Godot felt buggy and slow compared to Playmaker in Unity.
    Agreed, Unity is further ahead in the 3d field - for now. And if visual scripting is your preference, Playmaker is going to be a much nicer experience.

I always choose an engine depending on the game project I plan to work on. Nowadays I prefer 2d game dev over 3d, and Unity is a bit painful to work with for that type of project.

Currently looking into doing a more traditional 2d point-and-click adventure type game, and I will probably use Visionaire for that. Visionaire is provides a nice specialized visual development environment for these type of games, although Ruby is supported for more depth, if needed.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

We are now using Unreal Engine 4 very strongly, even for offline rendering. It would be advantageous if Lightwave would offer optimized solutions for working with UE4. This would keep LW in our pipeline longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
    We are now using Unreal Engine 4 very strongly, even for offline rendering. It would be advantageous if Lightwave would offer optimized solutions for working with UE4. This would keep LW in our pipeline longer.
    Sounds like a good request to send to features at lightwave3d.com
    Favorite Waves: LW3.5, 5.6c, 7.5, 8.5, 9.6, 2015.

Unity. Got a usable workflow for Vertex Normals with 2018 and a plug-in. Not having this was kind of a show stopper.

Has anyone tried Lumberyard? Advantages? Disadvantages?

unity, unreal and others.

regarding lumberyard - yeah, its just crytek engine but older version. I'd stick with unity/unreal.

Unity. There are precious few projects I can share, thanks to NDAs, but a few videos have been published online.

Client projects:

Daimler VR/AR (2017)
    https://vimeo.com/258985151
    - Lightwave was used to define the global animation path along with creating the road and landscape (basic as it is).
    - Vehicles were purchased or provided by the client.

unnamed client VR (2016)
    https://vimeo.com/219444509
    - Lightwave was used to define the animation path and model the road and landscape elements.
    - Lightwave was also used to populate vegetation (this was pretty much the worst solution, lol).

There was a pretty big project last year where I used Lightwave (and MeshLab and other supporting software) to create highly stylised trees and vegetation. Unfortunately after that experience, thanks to Lightwave's abysmal/non-existent vertex data support (surface normals, etcetera), it was kinda the last straw - we'll be looking at other modelling solutions for our next major VR project.

Personal projects:

Offline rendering R&D (2018)
    https://vimeo.com/266783252
    - Lightwave was used to model the crystalline structures (boolean ops), generate some of the texture sources (edge curvature, edge distance, inverted AO, almost entirely thanks to 3rd party plugins), and simulate the dynamics (object translation data exported via FBX).
    - Unity was used for everything else, from lighting and shader development to final post processing effects.

VR shader R&D (2017)
    https://vimeo.com/219443567
    - Lightwave was used to model and UV map the building structure.
    - Everything else was SpeedTree and Unity.
    Last edited by Iaian7; 10-05-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    Unity. Got a usable workflow for Vertex Normals with 2018 and a plug-in. Not having this was kind of a show stopper.
    What plugin are you using for this? Like you say, Lightwave's lack of native support is kind of a show stopper!
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast