Thread: Backups do not work

Backups do not work

Today something happened and I have to restore my TC1. I had made a backup a few weeks ago. I attemtped to restore from that backup. But it complained about a mismatch and would not restore. I had to go all the way back to factory reset.. This is the second time a self made restore created from Newteks own software would not work. What is the trick to creating a valid restore disk on your own. Very very very frustrated this morning.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    geeknews@gmail.com
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

The disk needs to be exactly the same size as the original. I just use exactly the same model disk to backup to. The device manager should tell you the model number of your C: drive. Samsung makes two variants of their SSDs 'Pro' and 'EVO' make sure you get the right one because they are slightly different sizes.

The backup will backup to any drive that is the same size as the original or larger but the restore function can't resize from larger to smaller.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

Hi Jeff,

Was not aware that if backup drive was larger than TC drive that it would not Restore from backup. Might it be possible to PARTITION a larger external drive first so the selected partition matches TC drive in size, or does the Backup process do its own thing with the external drive formatting anyway?

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Pretty sure that won't work. The User Backup function wipes the target drive and clones the partitions. A third party drive cloner might be able to get around this but the last commercial one I tried (Acronis) FUBARed the Linux bootloader beyond repair (on the original drive). I have used Clonezilla in the past with some success but have found the image files it made didn't always work and you couldn't tell until you went to restore it. SO I gave up and just match the drive model if possible and if not plan on just swapping the user backup drive physically in place of the original if it's ever needed.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    The disk needs to be exactly the same size as the original. I just use exactly the same model disk to backup to. The device manager should tell you the model number of your C: drive. Samsung makes two variants of their SSDs 'Pro' and 'EVO' make sure you get the right one because they are slightly different sizes.

The backup will backup to any drive that is the same size as the original or larger but the restore function can't resize from larger to smaller.
    Well that explains why my backup failed to restore. Wish it would have declined to make the backup if it was going to be useless for restoring. False sense of hope. Guess I didn't read the documentation carefully enough

I wanted to have one on a small portable USB powered drive incase things hit the fan when I was out at an event.

I backup to a USB drive that is not the same size as the Tricaster drive and it works flawlessly everytime.
    Never had an issue.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Have you restored back to the original drive?
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    The disk needs to be exactly the same size as the original. I just use exactly the same model disk to backup to. The backup will backup to any drive that is the same size as the original or larger but the restore function can't resize from larger to smaller.
    Can we get confirmation from NewTek that this is the case? I don't think that info is in the manual anywhere. If this is actually 'standard' - then I need to get a backup going ASAP, and in order to do so, I have to start rooting around for a good hard drive.

Well this explains a lot and I bet there are a bunch of us out there sitting with useless backups. Now the challenge will be finding this exact drive model. What really sounds like what needs to happen is that Newtek needs to fix there restore software.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    geeknews@gmail.com
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

I use a Western Digital 1 TB My Passport Ultra drive. I make Bucks to it, I restore from it every time with no issues at all.
    I believe that the info about the drive needing to be EXACTLY THE SAME, be be erroneous.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Based on my experience, I would tend agree with Stream here. If you want to CLONE a drive you would need it to be the same size. For example, if I wanted to replace a TriCaster's mechanical system drive with an SSD, I'd need to clone it to one of the same size - even if the system itself would fit on a much smaller drive. When it comes to backups,I've always done them to 1 or 2 TB drive's and haven't had issues restoring them the few times I've needed to. That said, I haven't done this with any kind of engineering discipline behind it so it is possible there are specific cases where matching drive sizes matter (or even that my experience is a complete technical outlier). It would be good to get an official word on this.

PS - Swapping out your system drive with an SSD probably voids any warranty. My reference above should NOT be taken as a recommendation.
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

john@gnural.com
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x