Thread: NDI over home Wi-Fi

NDI over home Wi-Fi

Hello All,
    I've been experimenting with NDI for game streaming over my home wi-fi network. I've read that NDI is best deployed on a Gig wired network. The testing so far has been less than optimum. I'm using a Netgear Orbi RBK-50 router system. I've been searching for information that may help improve performance and have come up empty handed.

Does anyone have any experience to share concerning this use case for NDI?

Thanks in advance!

Yea, use gigabit! It's not that is it best deployed on Gigabit. Gigabit is the minimum requirement for NDI.

WiFi is too bursty and with spectrum noise can be too unreliable for the needs of NDI. NDI has no buffering so anything that disrupts the data flow is going to cause problems. NDI|HX is designed to work on WiFi if needed, so if you wanted to get a Connect Spark HDMI and use that you will probably have much better results.

There have been some people that have gotten WiFi to work in limited cases with full bandwidth NDI, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Last edited by kanep; 09-29-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane! So Gig-E is the minimum?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Thanks Kane! So Gig-E is the minimum?
    For full bandwidth NDI, yes.

If you use a NDI|HX device (like a Spark or PTZ1 camera), they can work with 100mb Ethernet or WiFi since they have a much lower data rate.
    Last edited by kanep; 09-30-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.