Thread: Converting Textures

Converting Textures

I've been finding some really impressive models at Grabcad.com and many available as FBX's. I'm also finding that the surfaces all come in to Layout as Standard which is pretty much expected I guess.

I came across one though just isn't coming into Layout with quite the right texturing and I'm hoping some node guru can help me figure out what this material reall is.

Here's the original file:

https://grabcad.com/library/donkey-vs-man-wooden-toy-1

The file has a renderings folder and this is the still sample:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(render1)_Donkey_vs_Man.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1,002.3 KB 
ID:	142930

And here's how it comes into Layout from the FBX:

Name:	ManVSDonkeyDefaultFBXtextures.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	142931

Tried the OBJ version as well and has similar issue plus had missing images.

I picked up Allegorithmic's Bitmap2Material to create PBR textures which has worked for many things but on this toy they don't. The wood textures are there as you can see, but not the "stain" color. Quick Carpaint tests were't getting me there either, but perhaps with the right settings would. I've only rudimentary knowledge working with carpaint though.

Any suggestions on how to dissect & recreate this surface?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Does the model come in with the appropriate polygons named differently? Are there surfaces like "Red Coat", "Green Pants", etc.?

If so, I would add a "Color Layer" node. Then add a procedural Value layer and make it red (for the red coat polys). On the layer above that in the node, add a Image Map layer and set it to the wood texture image and UV map that came with your model. Set that layers Blending Mode to Multiply to get that texture onto the red.

Do this process for all of your different surfaces that use the wood texture.

Sorry, I don't have a login to that site or I would have made a quick example to upload.

In the FBX file, I just went through the surface editor's list of textures. Shift click on any enabled color "T" in the surface editor to turn off the wood texture for now.

Once you get the coloring visible, you can identify/rename those surface names and build up node textures.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

As I mentioned, the surfaces come in as Standard. Yes, when in VPR I can shft-click to bring up that particular surface in the editor.

Name:	SurfEdit.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	142948

Axis3d:
    If so, I would add a "Color Layer" node. Then add a procedural Value layer and make it red (for the red coat polys). On the layer above that in the node, add a Image Map layer and set it to the wood texture image and UV map that came with your model. Set that layers Blending Mode to Multiply to get that texture onto the red.

It is a quick & free sign up, but assuming your still talking about a standard node (verbal descriptions of something that REALLY needs to be visual is somewhat counter productive) results in this:

Name:	Axis3dsuggestion.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	467.4 KB 
ID:	142949

Which is certainly getting there and perhaps a good enough starting point to convert to a PrincBSFD.

OK guys, thanks. That''ll probably get me going.

M.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum