Thread: Flipping a UV'd surface

Flipping a UV'd surface

I just know this is going to end up being forehead smackingly simple, but it's just not making itself apparent at the moment.

I have a simple image node plugged into color channel on a PrincBSDF. It's four polys of varying shape that's a stained glass window. I want to simply scale that image -100% on what would be the X-axis, or rotate 180 on Y if this was planer, but it's not; it's UV mapped. I threw some -1's on what would seem to be the obvious inputs, scale, U offset and nada.

There must be an easy way to do that?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    I just know this is going to end up being forehead smackingly simple, but it's just not making itself apparent at the moment.

I have a simple image node plugged into color channel on a PrincBSDF. It's four polys of varying shape that's a stained glass window. I want to simply scale that image -100% on what would be the X-axis, or rotate 180 on Y if this was planer, but it's not; it's UV mapped. I threw some -1's on what would seem to be the obvious inputs, scale, U offset and nada.

If you are just trying to adjust individual poly mapping in the UV, set one of your windows to show the UV and select the poly or polys you need to adjust in the UV window.

Go to UV / Texture >More and use Flip UVs (per poly) and Rotate UVs (per poly) to adjust individual polys in your UV until you get the results you are looking for.

If you need to adjust the whole map, you can try Flip UVs. It does what it says though... flips all of the UVs. So that may not be what you are lookiing for.

Hope this helps.

Once could change the Tiles for U and V to 2 then change the U and V Tiling to Mirror for the flips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	142913  
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

So basically, just adjust in Modeler as Layout doesn't have a means to do this simple task?

Sigh. Kinda figured.

Thanks guys.

So basically, just adjust in Modeler as Layout doesn't have a means to do this simple task?

Sigh. Kinda figured.

Thanks guys.
    I wouldn't say that it can't be done in Layout; I don't know how you would do it, but it wouldn't be the first or last thing I don't know how to do in Lightwave.

I will say that I prefer to have my UVs laid out properly for my texture in the base model, as opposed to trying to force the texture fit the UVs. IMO, that is cleaner and avoids potential future issues with changing or adjusting textures.

It can be done in layout - I remember something about a basic node setup to do it.

You have a UV Vertex map node, inverting the U channel, setting the UV scale to 0,0, and feeding the inverted U and normal V into their respective offsets.
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Ya, it's probably possible with some arcane, non-obvious way.

But back in Modeler, I simply used the Transform UV tool, set -100% for U scale and move 100 unit's on U as well and that was it. One click.

This should be something that's as easy to do in Layout too as much of your surfacing has to be done there anyway. If we had VPR in Modeler, that would be a plus as well.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    There's a good candidate for a simplified, preset Compound Node.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Ya, it's probably possible with some arcane, non-obvious way.

But back in Modeler, I simply used the Transform UV tool, set -100% for U scale and move 100 unit's on U as well and that was it. One click.

This should be something that's as easy to do in Layout too as much of your surfacing has to be done there anyway. If we had VPR in Modeler, that would be a plus as well.
    Just another example why the split app approach is bad.