Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Don't upgrade to MacOS Mojave yet! Update: Hotfix Released

Quote Originally Posted by donlimpio View Post
    @Morgan: That depends on how your interpret "upgrading" (as the OS or the LW upgrade).

If you run LW 2015.3, you should not upgrade your OS to Mojave, because then you're in trouble.
    If you run LW 2018 on Mojave, you should upgrade, because then you get the latest fix which works.
    Ah yes, I wrongly assumed he was talking about LW. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeATL View Post
    Will the Lightwave 2018 Mojave fix work on 2015.3?
    The fix is specific to 2018.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

what to do

My MacBook Pro died March 2018. In Nov 2018 my new one updated to Mohave WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Yesterday I finally reinstalled my last version of Lightwave which was 2015.3. Well I have that Mohave thing going on where icons are black.

So........do I get 2018.3 or, wait till the next version comes out. I love Lightwave, its an addiction and hobby but I make no money with it so updates at $300 a pop need to happen every 4 updates or even longer. If I get 2018.3, do I get any forth coming updates, or do I wait for maybe a 2019 update.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    We have a hot-fix for LightWave® 2018:

LightWave 3D® 2018: Hot-Fix for Mac Mojave OS

Quote Originally Posted by sebrady View Post
    My MacBook Pro died March 2018. In Nov 2018 my new one updated to Mohave WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Yesterday I finally reinstalled my last version of Lightwave which was 2015.3. Well I have that Mohave thing going on where icons are black.

So........do I get 2018.3 or, wait till the next version comes out. I love Lightwave, its an addiction and hobby but I make no money with it so updates at $300 a pop need to happen every 4 updates or even longer. If I get 2018.3, do I get any forth coming updates, or do I wait for maybe a 2019 update.

Thanks for helping me think through this.
    If history is any indication you may have to wait quite a while for lw2019. Although that may be different this time around. So if you want to be able to use lw this year on your new computer i think you may have to just bite the bullet and get 2018. It is a pretty substantial update though, so you aren’t just looking at shelling out $300 to get pretty much the same thing you had before your last computer crapped out. You are getting a lot of new stuff to play with and learn.

One would of course hope that if I you buy 2018 only to have lw2019 come out a couple of months later that Newtek would do you a solid and upgrade your license for free.

LW support replied to me TODAY, Saturday, 19th.

"LightWave was last updated to 2018.0.7 (which is Mojave compliant) on 10/31/2018."

So I asked them if I buy 2018.0.7 and 2019 comes out, do I get a free upgrade, is there a grace period........waiting for response. Maybe today. I have to use reading glasses because I'm 58 and the tiny font on the screen is too small. Is there a way to make the interface font bigger? So many boxes to click on.

Waiting periods between versions of LW are open ended (as you probably know).
    There is no gaurantee a new version will be out this year and tbh I can't see you getting a free upgrade.

Do you not have a backup of your previous system (presumably HS), you could restore?
    Alternatively you could boot HS from an external drive with LW 2015, this would be cheaper than the upgrade.

The other thing to consider, the shading/rendering system is completely different in 2018.
    Any scenes you have built will probably need to be updated/tweaked if you open them in 2018.
    Last edited by Markc; 01-19-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Markc, thanks for the great suggestion to boot from a MacOS HS drive. But I might as well get 2018.0.7 and learn all the new stuff. I usually go 4 years before I upgrade. I have a ton of projects so anything I open will need to updated to the new way of working. Might as well get started. I tried to learn Blender last year. Lots of cool tuts on YouTube. Wish LW could do some of those things but I still love LW.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234