Thread: what is the best Dante Audio Config

what is the best Dante Audio Config

imaging building out a new studio from scratch with a medium budget... think TC1 instead of VME

I am looking for the most stable Dante audio config- what are the best results that you have found?
    i will use 48 channels of audio as an example

Dante Controller only on a standalone PC? how robust?
    with just 48 ch- i suspect that Dante Domain Manager is not required
    do i need Via?

thanks in advance

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    If you are using that many channels with Dante then you need a proper sound console. Yamaha CL series, Soundcraft Vi, or a Digico SD11B . Of course with a Dante input card on any of those. Yamaha ships with Dante enabled usually though.

You do not want to try mixing that many channels of audio with a TriCaster. Use a proper sound console and then feed TriCaster a mixdown.

You will not need Dante Domain Manager most likely and I would stay away from Via. Via is only for very simple setups.
    On the TriCaster you will need to install Dante Virtual Soundcard to bring in any Dante audio.

Regarding Dante Controller, you can run that on pretty much any newer (<3 year old) PC. We run it on all kinds of machines.
    Dante Controller is basically a virtual patch bay. There is not real processing going on with Controller.

One thing you do want to plan in your setup is a properly designed and managed network. Quality switches with the right VLAN configurations will help things move in the right direction and possibly keep you from losing lots of hair.

If you need help lining all this out. Give me a shout. We speak a considerable amount of Dante, NDI, and TriCaster here.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks very much Jef!

and yes- i did fail to mention the console... I believe it is a yamaha with the Dante enabled
    at this point this is all sketched out on bar napkins but your description is very helpful-

thank you again!
    Last edited by rick_sound; 09-25-2018 at 12:16 PM.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I'll add to Jef's;
    Dante in and out, of TC-1, is user assignable but only stereo pairs
    There are 16 in and out channels but again, 8 stereo pairs
    I'll 2nd Network is very important and even more important if taking advantage of NDI
    AUX1 and Master analog output is always active even if you assign Dante and works great as a backup dual connection
    On TC-1, I have had success with changing the latency of VSC to 4ms (instead of default 6ms) but Jef should weigh in here as he does Dante much more often
    Dante Controller has the ability to name each devices inputs and outputs so take advantage of this
    Should already do this when Controller see's audio console Dante hardware but make sure the console is Master clock
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NDI and Dante can play nicely on the same lan/vlan if done correctly We have one site with +500 NDI sources and 64 channels of Dante all on the same network.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Thank you Zane!
    although this will not come close to 500NDI sources is there any documentation on best practices for a config close to this?
    thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    NDI and Dante can play nicely on the same lan/vlan if done correctly We have one site with +500 NDI sources and 64 channels of Dante all on the same network.
    My system with 2 NC1, 2 Mini, 4 Sparks and 26 channels of Dante has constant audio sync problems. I've been trying to get the VLANs working without success. Not all of the sources are used at the same time obviously. Multiple attempts at support have failed.
    So now, we keep an close eye on the sync while on air and adjust the camera delays live. I'm not the only one with this problem.