Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LW blast from the past! The FIRST version of LW for PC!

LW blast from the past! The FIRST version of LW for PC!

I work at Flash Film Works ( http://www.flashfilmworks.com ) and we are bringing out a video game originally shot in the 1990s. Yes SHOT. It is a live action game called MAXIMUM SURGE starring Baywatch babe and former cokehead Yasmine Bleeth ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Surge ) and the models for it were made in LW around 1996-8. Amazingly, ALL the models easily converted to LW 2018! Some haters say LW is old and has been around too long. Not only do I disagree, I want to remind the naysayers that being able to pull in a twenty year library of assets is incredibly powerful! Cost savings cost savings cost savings.

Here is one of the upgraded models made 20 years ago but now sporting LW 2018 textures and volumetric lights and motion blur.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final_Render_053.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	142852

I was making these models before some LW animators were even born! It is really wild looking at the "modified dates" on objects and seeing the last update as Dec. 12, 1998! Also, I would whine about something amateurish about the models, such as "It is not using layers!" because THERE WERE NO LAYERS IN OBJECTS at that time. I wanted to yell at the modeler, but he might be dead for all I know! It was a great opportunity for me to criticize my own work from decades ago Live and learn.

While we were snooping through the assets I found a copy of Lightwave beta for the PC! The archive included it so we could always have the ability to edit the scenes. It was the first version migrated from the Amiga and it appears to be a beta copy of LW 3.75 or 4 which was registered to Foundation Imaging (Babylon 5 show https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5) at the time.

Talk about coming a long way baby! Every LW user should run this single executable file and see where we have come from.

Obviously, my posting of this file is a kind of piracy. However, there is no modeler included. You can't load objects into it unless you have them in the proper ancient format. There is also no video buffer so you can't see renders. The copy is essentially neutered. But it is amazing to see anyway. I wanted to message SDBowie to see if it was okay to post, but I am unable to send private messages for some reason, probably censorship. (All my posts are monitored before seen by the public).

I had forgotten what life was like before OpenGL and you had to think in x-ray wireframes for everything except a final render.

FTP EXECUTABLE FILE LOCATION: http://donjmyers.com/ftp/

Download the windows file PCLW375.exe - no installation necessary. Mac users out of luck.

Interestingly, when I worked on THE GUARDIAN ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian_(2006_film)) at Flash Disney demanded that the studio be given a fully working computer with all the licensed software used to make the movie as well as all the scene/data files and final rendered frames. That way the studio could store the Windows machine with the original negatives of the film and later rework scenes if necessary (such as in 3d conversion). I thought that was very smart of them. But I do wonder if a computer sitting on a shelf for decades would still work years later if they wanted to do something. And I'm sure my boss did not enjoy paying for all that hardware and software licenses for a computer that would probably never be used.

Cool - Do you have Modeler too?
    I started with LW5.5 - this even seems archaic to that as best I can recall.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Cool - Do you have Modeler too?
    I started with LW5.5 - this even seems archaic to that as best I can recall.
    No sorry I don't this is our archive and it's only one file. It was when LW was still looking like the amiga version.

Awesome!    

did load LW5.6 object files just fine. Neat.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erikals; 09-22-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I still have an intact Amiga 3000 with 040 accelerator board, we modified the case to take the Toaster, and an Amiga 4000 with a DPS PAR unit, you've inspired me to dig them out of storage and see if they will still fire up!

My first PC to run LW was a custom build Pentium 100 unit, with a massive 5" 1 gig harddrive for data, and the whole thing cost 4 grand if I remember right, along with a 17" monitor. 4 grand buys a WHOLE lot of computer today...

Thanks Don, fun trip down memory lane... I have scads of DAT backup tapes from that time period (followed by EXABYTE tapes a few years later), but no tape backup device to retrieve the data... in those late Amiga, early PC days a 1 gig DAT tape would usually backup your main harddrive a couple times over for 10 bucks... ah, the "good" old days... all my old Computer Cafe projects, early Shasta commercials, NBC promos for Caroline in the City, good times!

i miss my Amiga 500

Registered Polygon Abuser ToMar's Avatar
    The About box says "Lightwave 3D x86 3.75c ... ...by Allen Hastings"

And you can check the "show rendering in progress" box. Surface samples also render. But render to file outputs nothing.

Do we have an "Alphabetize List" in todays surface editor? Can't remember if I used it in LW 5.6 / 6.5, to create ships for the Star Trek Klingon Academy game, for all the predetermined surfaces, that explode or vent plasma, with its color and volume coded in the surface name.
    Last edited by ToMar; 09-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    Intel Core i7-7700 | 16GB | GTX 1050ti Passive | Noctua Fans | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Atom | 2GB | Intel HD | Windows 10 Home 32bit

Dual Opteron 2425 | 20GB | EN210 | Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Do we have an "Alphabetize List" in today's surface editor?
    not afaik

there is a search function though
    https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...Surface+Search

Quote Originally Posted by Imageshoppe View Post
    I still have an intact Amiga 3000 with 040 accelerator board, we modified the case to take the Toaster, and an Amiga 4000 with a DPS PAR unit, you've inspired me to dig them out of storage and see if they will still fire up!

My first PC to run LW was a custom build Pentium 100 unit, with a massive 5" 1 gig harddrive for data, and the whole thing cost 4 grand if I remember right, along with a 17" monitor. 4 grand buys a WHOLE lot of computer today...

Thanks Don, fun trip down memory lane... I have scads of DAT backup tapes from that time period (followed by EXABYTE tapes a few years later), but no tape backup device to retrieve the data... in those late Amiga, early PC days a 1 gig DAT tape would usually backup your main harddrive a couple times over for 10 bucks... ah, the "good" old days... all my old Computer Cafe projects, early Shasta commercials, NBC promos for Caroline in the City, good times!
    I kept my Amiga 3000 under my bed for ten years till I looked at what they were worth on ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by ToMar View Post
    The About box says "Lightwave 3D x86 3.75c ... ...by Allen Hastings"
    Yes but the title bar of the program says "LW 3D 4.0 beta foundation imaging version" so it was an early PC version BEFORE 4.0 went final and was being tested by the late foundation imaging ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_Imaging ).

I remember this time as well. I started with Lightwave 4.

And I remember your work on Deep Blue Sea and The Guardian.
    As far as I recall, you animated the ocean mesh in The Guardian manually, using a Master and Commander as a backplate. Or is it more correct to say as a reference?
    Anyway, it was very good and very convincing.

Reco

Registered Polygon Abuser ToMar's Avatar
    Hang on, Check... ehm... Walter Koenig was in this game? I mean i kind of like Yasmine Bleeth, but Walter gets more attention on this Forum, I guess.
    Intel Core i7-7700 | 16GB | GTX 1050ti Passive | Noctua Fans | Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Intel Atom | 2GB | Intel HD | Windows 10 Home 32bit

Dual Opteron 2425 | 20GB | EN210 | Windows 8 Pro 64bit

I started with the very first Amiga and then graduated to the 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, and finally went PC when it went there. Boy did I spend a lot of money!!

But, no sweat, I made money over the last 33+ years!!

Thinking back, I remember when I got the first version of LW that actually had anti-aliasing, vs the brute force method of rendering 2X larger images that were scaled down to the Toaster buffer size and how excited I was watching it work. That was the first moment LW could compete with the Alias crowd for some jobs.

Does anyone remember that dodgy "jail break" dongle device for your copy of LW that allowed it to run on the Amiga solo before it was officially sold separately from the Toaster? I remember meeting the guy who sold it at NAB one year and then wondering how I would get that black hunk of metal passed airport security! You still had to own Lightwave, but this removed the burden of having to have the full Toaster hardware/software installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post
    I remember this time as well. I started with Lightwave 4.

And I remember your work on Deep Blue Sea and The Guardian.
    As far as I recall, you animated the ocean mesh in The Guardian manually, using a Master and Commander as a backplate. Or is it more correct to say as a reference?
    Anyway, it was very good and very convincing.

Reco
    No the water was animated procedurally in LW or generated with realflow plug in program. Disney also did Master and Commander and had some GREAT storm at sea plates. I don't know how they shot it without dying in the storm! Disney pulled those images from their morgue and gave them to us.

We used them as the backgrounds for certain shots and wave pools for the fgnd. Other times the background was lw and the foreground was the wave pool. Then we blended the layers well although it sticks out like crazy for me since I made it. The give away is that the wave pool had fresh water in it and fresh water does not "foam."

There was also one clip art practical wave that all the compositors kept using and it apparently shows up every two seconds in a shot if you know what to look for!

TRAILER:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast