Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Google Maps ..map services on websites with an extra cost-Alternatives

  1. #1
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944

    Google Maps ..map services on websites with an extra cost-Alternatives

    Just found out that Google now requires a registration with card information to keep using itīs map service, and a cost will be added if there is more than 25 000 views per day.
    My company will not reach that many views, but we are not keen to register an account with a card, unless there is a way of simply set the option to limit views to just 25000 views without any additional cost.

    So guys, any suggestions?
    .I was thinking of looking at our Swedish map services.
    Our site is a wordpress site.

  2. #2
    Super Duper Member kopperdrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    3,107
    I've used google maps up until now but you sparked my curiosity. A few friends have started to use Waze on their mobiles, it seems you can embed it in an iFrame:

    https://developers.google.com/waze/iframe/

    The beauty is that your customers get real-time updates on the traffic situation in your area - road closures etc.

    I might have a look at that myself with the new website
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i7-5960X OC@4.2GHz | 32Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

  3. #3
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    533
    There should not be a cause for concern if your company will not reach that many views. Google states "You can also set daily quotas to protect against unexpected increases." ( https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/ )

    Uncertain of how your company uses online maps, you may also look at https://www.openstreetmap.org

    ##

    For others' reference, Google changed their policy a couple months ago. All web developers must use an API key now. https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/

    EDIT: I would guess that this change may be related to GDPR and other privacy laws. Google was never really giving their map service away for free. They have been profiting from your personal data, collected while you use it. That personal data may be less valuable now under GDPR and other restrictions.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-19-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  4. #4
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944
    Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    I've used google maps up until now but you sparked my curiosity. A few friends have started to use Waze on their mobiles, it seems you can embed it in an iFrame:

    https://developers.google.com/waze/iframe/

    The beauty is that your customers get real-time updates on the traffic situation in your area - road closures etc.

    I might have a look at that myself with the new website
    Thanks for the heads up on that, will have a look at Waze.

    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    There should not be a cause for concern if your company will not reach that many views. Google states "You can also set daily quotas to protect against unexpected increases." ( https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/ )

    Uncertain of how your company uses online maps, you may also look at https://www.openstreetmap.org

    ##

    For others' reference, Google changed their policy a couple months ago. All web developers must use an API key now. https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/user-guide/

    EDIT: I would guess that this change may be related to GDPR and other privacy laws. Google was never really giving their map service away for free. They have been profiting from your personal data, collected while you use it. That personal data may be less valuable now under GDPR and other restrictions.
    Yes..I was thinking of openstreetmap, I actually made an edit many many months ago to point out our company on that map, and Ivé used it to download vector data directly in to blender...which however is completely out of topic for this question though.

    As I mentioned before, itīs a simple wordpress site with a map browser from google maps built in to the frame in our contact page, I became aware of this since we have another company serving as webmasters, and where I only sit in the position as web editor with simple updates to do...that company turned to us and notified us about the new google rules, and also came with a shameless offer to help us create and set up an google account for 224 USD...huh, no thanks...we rather just put up an image maybe a link to another map service..if we donīt find a good and easy wordpress inframe browsing map.

    Eventually we may drop these webmasters..to much milking out any html code they do...and the site was built in too simple form from the beginning..which ofcourse allows them to debit us for small changes if the only way to do it is by code.
    I would need to learn more about wordpress in order to take control of it fully though, but I am not sure I am willing to invest in all that and fear I also have to little time to pursue with such agenda.

  5. #5
    Founding member raymondtrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    533
    Assuming that this is just a marketing ploy from your service provider, can you confirm that you're actually using the Google Maps API? You don't need it to use as an iframe. The following code renders fine without any API subscription warning. This type of map has never needed an API key, and should never.

    Code:
    <iframe width="400" height="400" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?width=100%&amp;height=600&amp;hl=en&amp;q=1600+Pennsylvania+Avenue,+Washington+DC+USA+(Trumplandia)&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=&amp;z=16&amp;iwloc=B&amp;output=embed" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"></iframe>
    You may want to rethink the idea of a framed map. This may have been useful in 2005. However, with the advent of the mobile internet, a framed map within a web page is now more of an obstacle for handheld devices. It is more practical to simply link to an outside map ("_blank" href target). If on a desktop web browser, it will open a new tab or window. If on a mobile device, it will open as a full page in the browser or automatically get passed off to the Google Maps app, where there is much more functionality.

    Consider this instead...

    Code:
    <a href="https://www.google.com/maps?q=1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC, USA" target="_blank">Find us on a map</a>
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 09-19-2018 at 01:15 PM.
    LW7.5D, LW2015.3, LW2018.0.x running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

  6. #6
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Assuming that this is just a marketing ploy from your service provider, can you confirm that you're actually using the Google Maps API? You don't need it to use as an iframe. The following code renders fine without any API subscription warning. This type of map has never needed an API key, and should never.

    Code:
    <iframe width="400" height="400" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?width=100%&amp;height=600&amp;hl=en&amp;q=1600+Pennsylvania+Avenue,+Washington+DC+USA+(Trumplandia)&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=&amp;z=16&amp;iwloc=B&amp;output=embed" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"></iframe>
    You may want to rethink the idea of a framed map. This may have been useful in 2005. However, with the advent of the mobile internet, a framed map within a web page is now more of an obstacle for handheld devices. It is more practical to simply link to an outside map ("_blank" href target). If on a desktop web browser, it will open a new tab or window. If on a mobile device, it will open as a full page in the browser or automatically get passed off to the Google Maps app, where there is much more functionality.

    Consider this instead...

    Code:
    <a href="https://www.google.com/maps?q=1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC, USA" target="_blank">Find us on a map</a>
    Thanks raymondtrace for the suggestions, will have to look at work tomorrow, itīs bedtime over here now...I need some extra sleep this week..so hitting the sack now at 10 a clock in the evening, and up around 7:40 in the morning so I get my 9-10 hours (yeah right now I need that much sleep), itīs getting darker and soon the winter is here.

  7. #7
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,626
    Get pre-paid card. Like Payoneer.
    https://www.payoneer.com/
    Upload some little amount of money on it, like $10-$100. And give Google its data.
    And me too (I will need Google Maps JavaScript API by myself I won't exceed 25k per day limit.. not even 1k.. it's just for development)..
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

  8. #8
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Get pre-paid card. Like Payoneer.
    https://www.payoneer.com/
    Upload some little amount of money on it, like $10-$100. And give Google its data.
    And me too (I will need Google Maps JavaScript API by myself I won't exceed 25k per day limit.. not even 1k.. it's just for development)..
    Why would we even consider paying for that? when it previously has been free..and all we actually would need to do is to use a simple map, so that suggestion of getting a pre-paid card and uploading money...itīs totally out of the question.
    Things cost..sure, but the day when I have to pay for having simple things like my avatar image here on the forum, that will be the day I am gone from here.

  9. #9
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    7,626
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Why would we even consider paying for that? when it previously has been free..
    You're not paying for it. You just have to give credit card/visa card/master card info data to Google.. That's why I said about making fake-card which will be used just for this purpose..

    Why are you attacking me with such comment? I am just giving you solution.. I am in the same position as you are..
    Nobody will pay for anything as long as we are in 25k limit per day..

    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    and all we actually would need to do is to use a simple map,
    Then make screen-shot and attach it, instead of interactive Google maps..

    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    so that suggestion of getting a pre-paid card and uploading money...itīs totally out of the question.
    Things cost..sure, but the day when I have to pay for having simple things like my avatar image here on the forum, that will be the day I am gone from here.
    Well, in the most of 3D packages people already gave their credit card data.. while purchasing package on-line..

    ps. Making 3rd party "fake-prepaid-card" is protection of your the real one card...
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-20-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    LightWave Plugins
    Global Materials for LightWave 2018!
    Custom plugin writing. Request a quote.

  10. #10
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    You're not paying for it. You just have to give credit card/visa card/master card info data to Google.. That's why I said about making fake-card which will be used just for this purpose..

    Why are you attacking me with such comment? I am just giving you solution.. I am in the same position as you are..
    Nobody will pay for anything as long as we are in 25k limit per day..



    Then make screen-shot and attach it, instead of interactive Google maps..



    Well, in the most of 3D packages people already gave their credit card data.. while purchasing package on-line..

    ps. Making 3rd party "fake-prepaid-card" is protection of your the real one card...
    Sorry if it came across as that, it wasnīt ment as an attack..the suggestion of uploading money just made me instantly react a bit harsch and I realize it may have been seen as snarky, of course ..if you set a limit that wouldnīt affect the account obviously.

    Making a screenshot..Is one way, but One (if youreīswedish ) can also just link to our swedish land survey agency..which provides interactive maps or openstreet map, static or non static will work for us, of course an interactive map may be nicer, but not crucial.

    As for credit card etc, I am not responsible for the major decisions..and our company isnīt in the 3d business in any way, thanks for the advices on fake pre-paid cards anyway.

  11. #11
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    18,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    ps. Making 3rd party "fake-prepaid-card" is protection of your the real one card...
    Clever idea!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  12. #12
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    13,944
    And a little research, I just did a test with Simple Maps within a Wix site (yeah I know..not good for search engines ey?) We still consider changing to that, with the help of search optimization tools.
    It works in wix, and Simple maps (Digital 1) also recognized the issue with Google Maps, as they state that from 17/9..they no longer support google maps..but instead uses open street maps.

    I did a search on the addons for wordpress, a result was simple map, but that is not the same..I have to check if there is one for free..using openstreetmap.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •