Thread: NDI Virtual Camera not coping with WebRTC applications

NDI Virtual Camera not coping with WebRTC applications

Hi All,

I was helping someone work out a problem in a production workflow. Along the way I have discovered that NDI Virtual Camera v3.6 does play well with some popular applications:

- https://Hangouts.google.com: no video shows when NDI Video is selected as the camera.
    - https://Meet.jit.si: no video shows when NDI Video is selected as the camera. Web app reports failure to gain access to the source stream.

I tried both Chrome and Firefox in both cases.

Is there some documentation about the level of support for UVC? I would hope that it's UVC 1.1 in any case.

I'm happy to help debug this. I had access to some of the dev group from meet.jit.si.

Michael Graves

I just tried both of these applications and I'm getting NDI Video showing up.

(I am on NDI 3.7 beta, so perhaps that makes a difference)?

Kane
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I just tried both of these applications and I'm getting NDI Video showing up.

(I am on NDI 3.7 beta, so perhaps that makes a difference)?

Kane
    I have the v3.6 release, so you may be correct.

This morning I loaded NDI Tools v3.6 on a laptop. The resulting "Virtual Camera" does work in those WebRTC apps, although it is frail. After using it once successfully, it becomes unresponsive. I have to kill it from the task manager and start it anew.

I think that the installer doesn't do the greatest job updating, ie removing the v3.5 release. On my desktop, where v3.6 is faulty, both releases were installed side-by-side. Only the v3.5 version was in the Windows menu. On that basis, it's probably fair to suggest that people uninstall the old release manually.

Also, v3.5 included "Virtual Input" where v3.5 includes "Virtual Camera."

Lastly, installing an update to VLC seems to remove the NDI output plugin. I had to run the NDI Tools installer again to be able to use the NDI plug-in.

I am having trouble with Virtual Camera as well. On one of my systems it won't run at all. I got it running on another system, it passes video, but no audio. Skype reports that there is a problem with the microphone input. Hangouts dosn't report an error, but no audio is passed through either.
    I have NDI tools 3.7 installed on Windows 10 Pro.

I'm having the same issue with virtual camera v3.7. I also discovered the upgrade process from 3.6 to 3.7 is not optimum. I ended up reinstalling 3.6, uninstalling 3.6 and then installing 3.7.