Thread: BRAW input/output file format

BRAW input/output file format

Blackmagic Design introduced a new fast and flexible RAW format.
    See their web page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro.../blackmagicraw

Could this be interesting for Lightwave?

Well, for starters it's not a sequence of images, but a single file per shot, like any .avi or .mov would be. In that way, it's not useful as an output format if you have multiple frames exporting at different times via net rendering for example. Also, currently, it's designed to have some of the initial "prep" work done in/by the camera that is recording it. While they have an SDK, it's clearly more of a use (and a great use) for camera recordings vs frame by frame output, no extra buffer support, etc... as for a format supported by LW for image sequences, etc on import, sure, why not? I still prefer making image sequences for anything coming into LW and going back maybe a couple decades have never really trusted "movie" sequences for LW texture mapping...

Regards,

Thanks for your thoughts!

I really like the fact that the coloring is defined in a sidecar text file.
    I also like the single file approach instead of sequences. Maybe not appropriate for (initial) render output or alpha/depth channels.

Since Quicktime support on Windows OS has dropped, while many applications incl. LW still rely on it, the Windows platform needs a fresh approach that can replace AVI/MOV workflows for AV production purposes.