Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Choose your weapon GPU or CPU rendering?

I chose my weapon (GPU).. over six years ago. I bought my first Octane/LW Octane licenses in 2012. Immediately I saw Octane completely smoke the LW engine, with (at the time) my two paltry GTX460s trouncing my dual Opterons. Then I did "The Mod" (ghetto DIY watercooling on GPUs with CPU WCs) on my two GTX460s and things got even better/quieter.. then my GTX580s 3GB after that.. then my three 780Ti after that.. and now I have four 980Ti Hybrids. I'll likely be upgrading again before long...

I could write for hours about why Octane LW is the shizz. I really could, but I have a ton to do today. To sum it up: I love LW. I love Octane. I really, really love Octane for LW. I love water-cooled GPUs, and as many as I can stuff in The Beast™. Juanjo Gonzales (Octane plug dev) rocks and is The UberDev™! Add these things together and you have your reason why.. I.HAVE.NEVER.LOOKED.BACK....

Just to muddy the waters, when does it become practical to use a commercial render farm? Can you get signifigant work done on Project B while Project A is being masticated by thread counts high enough for designer sheets or ground out by gargantuan GPUs?

Well I see Octane 4 was released a few days ago but I didn't see any reference to free seats with up to 2 GPUs. So I guess it was too good to be true. So it looks like GPU rendering is fairly expensive - $600 for Octane and $XXX for GPU's. I've been mucking about with the demo and I think it's really pretty amazing, but for what we do it's overkill and too complicated for my guys.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

That would be a decent compromise for sure. Could even just have the gpu handling volumetric calculations and that sorta thing.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Visit my Web Portfolio
    Lightwave3D 2018, Chronosculpt, RealFlow and more..
    Threadripper 16 core, 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus ROG 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

_
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Well I see Octane 4 was released a few days ago but I didn't see any reference to free seats with up to 2 GPUs. So I guess it was too good to be true. So it looks like GPU rendering is fairly expensive - $600 for Octane and $XXX for GPU's. I've been mucking about with the demo and I think it's really pretty amazing, but for what we do it's overkill and too complicated for my guys.
    They said that their main objective is to offer the free tier to those who are using products that are free to use. So they started with Unity, which is already available and they should have Blender out in Q1. A free tier for products that are paid is not impossible in the future but would be planned later.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234