Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Controlling speed of travel along a spline/path

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Another possibility is that the null controlled MANY other items.

I can certainly see how this would be convenient if one were, for example, animating a bird's eye view of a car race with a basically circular track, but not an actual circle. Each car would get a "throttle", and blah blah blah. Of course, by the time you got this system working, you could have animated it w/keyframes three times over.

Still, it'd be nice to know if the overall system is flexible enough to accommodate such constructions.
    It is possible and you could use the techinque I showed in my recording. You can link as many objects you want to that animation channel you can even do the animation on a Null object and link all others to that. Whatever you do, if you want to animate the throttle you need to create keyframes and you’re back to square one or you could use a procedural texture to drive the animation without keyframes.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    It is possible and you could use the techinque I showed in my recording. You can link as many objects you want to that animation channel you can even do the animation on a Null object and link all others to that. Whatever you do, if you want to animate the throttle you need to create keyframes and you’re back to square one or you could use a procedural texture to drive the animation without keyframes.
    Ztreem, thanks: I'm housesitting and away from my LW station until Wednesday. I look forward to seeing how this was solved.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I don't know why I do this or why I care but here is a similar setup with a different approach. I just like solving others problems instead of my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-09-18_10-33-31.gif 
Views:	24 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	142826

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I don't know why I do this or why I care but here is a similar setup with a different approach. I just like solving others problems instead of my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-09-18_10-33-31.gif 
Views:	24 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	142826
    LOL, we identify and appreciate. Other people's problems are more interesting, our own are just frustrating.

++++++++++

On the subject of justifying or rationalizing this general approach: I'm #aflw but, keyframing item positions could be quite finicky and a tedious drag, while speed control along an established track should be a doddle, even though you'd still be keyframing the controller.

Again, #aflw, but has anybody turned on LSCommander to see how much of the workflow gets captured as commands? Ideally, this would be ALL OF IT, and one could set it up with a push of a button (linked to an LSCommander derived lscript).
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-18-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123