Thread: Nat sound from Camera Audio over NDI?

Nat sound from Camera Audio over NDI?

I work with broadcasting students at a high school.

Our stadium Daktronics board is connected to a TC-450. Last week I connected two of our cameras to the 450 and then shared those cameras with the TC-1 in broadcasting studio over NDI on the school's network. The TC-450 apparently had the camera audio muted.

Is there a way I can get the nat sound from our cameras without it affecting the show being sent to the Daktronics board?

What system is connected to the Dak board?
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

If I understand you correctly the 450 is the one attached to the Daktronics video board. I am pretty sure that would have to be running standard edition software, and cannot run Advanced Edition. Do you show independent audio selections for the NDI (NET?) outputs and for the main output? And have you confirmed that the TC1 is not muting the audio on in the incoming NDI streams?

Also, what is the connection type for the cameras to the 450?
    Last edited by Chuck; 09-10-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Is this perhaps a TC460? Because a 450 is very old and does not support NDI at all

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

It may be a 460. I'll try to find out.

The cameras are connected by HD-SDI cables to the stadium TriCaster.

Since last week I've learned that I needed to set up the audio in Audio Mixer as "embedded" for each input and it will come through. One issue is that taking Input 1 as embedded it bumps off my studio line input from Input 1 (XLR from an analog Yamaha console). I'm curious how to handle that better?

I'm new to the TriCaster. We've been using VMix the past three years.
    Last edited by DarrenWhitley; 09-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Hi Darren,

Are you using SDI embedded audio from all 4 cameras? Typically, when using a mixer board for announcer or whoever, you might just get nat sound to mix in from one camera - if you use audio from multiple cameras, getting basically the same nat sound from each, could have echoes and other weird stuff going on there.

The TC1 does have 4 sets of line inputs on the back. If for instance you don't need SDI audio from Camera 4, you could connect the Yamaha mixer source into Input 4 (using 1/4" Balanced TRS plugs rather than XLR, same quality) and therefore be able to use the SDI embedded sound on Input 1 then. That would be one possible solution.

Another would be to use an audio disembedder on the SDI to pull out analog audio from it, and connect that to one of the other LINE inputs on TC1. And in that case, perhaps run that analog audio from disembedder to mixing console and mix it there? Lots of different workflows available depending on your needs, TC1 is quite flexible and don't forget you have 4x4 Matrix Routing in the TC1 Audio Mixer so you can configure up to 4 separate audio mixes in TC1. Like maybe you need a mix-minus to send back to Yamaha console, easy to do.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1