Thread: Best practice for UV mapping?

Best practice for UV mapping?

Hi,
    I am currently working on creating a satellite. Based on the images below, I was wondering what was the best practice to UV map the pipes and objects, so they use one single texture map. I am have Lightwave 2018.6, LWCAD 2018, RizomUV 2018 and ODTools 2018.

Is it best to UVMap each individual pipe, then merge/ repack them into a single UV map? or is there a quicker way, The ODTool didn't produce good results when trying to UV map multiple pipes (Screen Grab included) that will shared the same texture/colour. Using the ODTools bridge tool. I'm new to UV mapping, never had the need too, until now, So I thought instead of teaching myself bad habits, I'll ask the pro's.

Thanks for you help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat-Pipes-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	142762

Name:	Pipes-02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	142763

Name:	Pipes-03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	142764

Name:	RizomUV-01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	142765
    Lightwave 2018.6, LWCAD 2018, ODTools 2018, RizomUV 2018, Substance Painter, SynthEyes, Fusion 9 Studio
    Intel i7 920 2.67GHz, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 285, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

hm, i thought Rizom would do a better job at this, are you sure you used it the correct way?
    RizomUV forum > http://forum.rizom-lab.com/#category-3

also check UV creeper >
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gTJEtM8ehQ4
    Last edited by erikals; 09-07-2018 at 04:44 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Topster-71 View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently working on creating a satellite. Based on the images below, I was wondering what was the best practice to UV map the pipes and objects, so they use one single texture map. I am have Lightwave 2018.6, LWCAD 2018, RizomUV 2018 and ODTools 2018.

Is it best to UVMap each individual pipe, then merge/ repack them into a single UV map? or is there a quicker way, The ODTool didn't produce good results when trying to UV map multiple pipes (Screen Grab included) that will shared the same texture/colour. Using the ODTools bridge tool. I'm new to UV mapping, never had the need too, until now, So I thought instead of teaching myself bad habits, I'll ask the pro's.

Thanks for you help.

Name:	Sat-Pipes-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	142762

Name:	Pipes-02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	142763

Name:	Pipes-03.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	142764

Name:	RizomUV-01.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	142765
    Oliver's got a Video out about actively rearranging UV's more efficiently in his Rizom Tutes
    I thought that is what Rizom is about, getting a better, more compacted 'pattern' use of the total
    UV space available. It shows this being done automatically on the fly calling up Rizom from OD tools.
    Trawl his website it's on there , maybe Rizom Bridge Tute extended.?
    Last edited by ianr; 09-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.

I'm not sure if I'm getting something wrong with ODTools. I was hoping the Rizom automate tool would simply speed part of the IF mapping process up. Don't get me wrong RizomUV is awesome. I can send an object to Rizom using ODTools Send to, and use the automated tools within Rizom with very good results. But I can't send it back modeler, using the get from Rezom tool.

I've watched the videos many times and can't help but feel I'm missing something or there is an issue with my modeling.

Will do more tests over the weekend.
    Lightwave 2018.6, LWCAD 2018, ODTools 2018, RizomUV 2018, Substance Painter, SynthEyes, Fusion 9 Studio
    Intel i7 920 2.67GHz, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 285, BMD Intensity Pro 4K, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit