Thread: Alembic export. How to get a smooth mesh.

Alembic export. How to get a smooth mesh.

I’m exporting an Alembic file of my animation to use in Unity. On importing into unity, everything looks fine except the mesh is no longer smoothed. I ca change the import settings in Unity so that it calculates the normals, but that results in strange seams appearing that correspond to my UV map. Everything I’ve read so far on Unity’s end says this must be fixed on the export (lightwave) side of things. Is there a way to export a smoothing normal map from lightwave? Using 2015.3. Thanks for any help in advance.

Ok. So for those also interested, I have found a work around to get smooth Alembic meshes in Unity.

Export Alembic file out of Lightwave.
    Import Alembic file into Blender.
    You will see that the mesh is nice and smooth.
    Export Alembic out of Blender.
    In Alembic Export Settings, un-check "Pack UV Islands"
    Export.

Now when you import into Unity with default import settings, you wil have a nice, smoothed mesh.

Hope this helps.

so, use blender? that's not a great workflow. lightwave is the bottleneck there.

Yeah, I'm sure there are much smarter people than myself that could get it all working within LW.
    Its an extra step, but its solved my problem so far.

just out of curiosity, why not use fbx? I think unity still has the way to use a separate fbx for animation.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Spli...nimations.html

yep, using [email protected]
    Last edited by gar26lw; 08-28-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Mdd?

Hi,

Would a good MDD importer for Unity be useful here? I've been working on one for awhile now, and I keep forgetting about it.

I can bump that up on the priority tree if it's something people would use.

-Chilton

you want something like maya/max game exporter that does animation clips:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...D0338-htm.html

watch the second video here:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYALT...2-67094E5C5624

this one:

https://help.autodesk.com/videos/c2e...yht/video.webm

fbx review is free, hook it up to use that to review (just opening an fbx in explorer will open it once installed)

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fbx/fbx-review

Quote Originally Posted by ConjureBunny View Post
    Hi,

Would a good MDD importer for Unity be useful here? I've been working on one for awhile now, and I keep forgetting about it.

I can bump that up on the priority tree if it's something people would use.

-Chilton
    That would not be unwanted. I'm currently using FBX and it's fine, for the moment at least. I'm just not keen on having a proprietary format like this at an integral part of the workflow.

How would the file work in Unity? Would it be an animation that you apply to say an OBJ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    That would not be unwanted. I'm currently using FBX and it's fine, for the moment at least. I'm just not keen on having a proprietary format like this at an integral part of the workflow.

How would the file work in Unity? Would it be an animation that you apply to say an OBJ?
    I see that this .MDD reader is available for Unity: http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=1335. Early this year I created a medical animation for a client. The client wanted to put this animation into an AR app. The animation included nodal control of morphs so it was not directly importable via .FBX. My client looked into using an MDD file but it turned out that the frame rate that the MDD file played was so slow that it was not practical to use it in an app. In the end we recreated the animation using only bones and morphs.

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    My client looked into using an MDD file but it turned out that the frame rate that the MDD file played was so slow that it was not practical to use it in an app.
    Chilton: If yours can replay MDDs for moderate-complexity objects at decent frame rates, it'd be quite valuable. However, that appears to be a tough nut to crack, based on how many seem to be having performance problems playing back "PLA-like" animation in Unity.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    I see that this .MDD reader is available for Unity: http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=1335. Early this year I created a medical animation for a client. The client wanted to put this animation into an AR app. The animation included nodal control of morphs so it was not directly importable via .FBX. My client looked into using an MDD file but it turned out that the frame rate that the MDD file played was so slow that it was not practical to use it in an app. In the end we recreated the animation using only bones and morphs.
    That's exactly what happened to a friend's MDD based animation project a few months ago, for a (non-medical) AR app. That whole situation was what prompted me to put a little more polish on my own solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Chilton: If yours can replay MDDs for moderate-complexity objects at decent frame rates, it'd be quite valuable. However, that appears to be a tough nut to crack, based on how many seem to be having performance problems playing back "PLA-like" animation in Unity.
    Well I guess I need to find a moderate-complexity object with an MDD so I can find out!

You wouldn't happen to have one of those lying around, would you?

-Chilton