Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg problem

LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg problem

I recently started a large job in 2018.0.5, after an intensive day in LW I shut down the machine hoping for an early start the next day.

After booting up the following morning and openning LW, I found I had no plugins at all and my LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg file was showing 0 bytes!

After a bit of faffing around I desided to install 2018.0.6, this went fine and I was up and running again.

Unfortunately every morning since then, on boot up, the same thing has happend, LWEXT2018.0.6-64.cfg file shows 0 bytes.

Yesterday (Thursday), was a less frantic day in LW and this morning there has been no problems - could this be a bug that only occurs when resources are low?

Any thoughts as to what could course this?

It has never happened to me before

Cheers
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    Same thing.
    Well at least I'm not alone
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Does this file only exist on PC?
    Did a search and found nothing.....

There is a Extensions 2018.0.6 file in my Prefs folder, which is zero bytes, but all plugins are there, native and third party (I do have autoscan on).
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

I have a different problem, sometimes Modeler suddenly close when switching to Modeler from the Layout...
    Dual Xeon E5-2670 2.6 GHZ // 64 gig DDR 3 // 32 cores // Windows 10

Do you mean Modeler crashes?
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

I've had all manner of weird install behaviour happened to me on most of the 2018 versions to be honest.
    Menu branches greyed out or simply missing, plugins only present in CFG when autoscan was active, even when manually scanning a directory. Next day on restart the CFG is empty of plugins.
    Never ever had these types of issues in the past and I've been installing LW since v5.
    This is all on win 10 so I'm wondering if there's some overall admin / permission issue for some of us ?

Usually a fresh reinstall seems to work, but it's a bugger to spot to be honest as 98% is fine and 2% broken, and you will only notice if you need something from that 2%.
    For example, initial install of 2018.06 had package scene totally missing from the menus ?

I've had this bug but not with this build, make sure to send in bug reports to the bug reporter, with steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    I've had this bug but not with this build, make sure to send in bug reports to the bug reporter, with steps.
    I'll try Tobian. It's not an easy thing to reproduce / get any insight into. I think it's something to do with my win 10 install to be honest. Not that it's anything unusual as far as I know.
    It's only LW that displays this weird behaviour btw, nothing else seems to be affected.

Sometimes flushing your config and reinstalling or killing your virus checker (temporarily) will help. My virus checker did it the last time but I think several cleans and several reboots and it fixed itself. Was very annoying.

issues again with clean LW install - 2018.0.7

Here is what happens when I simply do a clean install on 2018.0.7
    I always notice this because RenderQ is never present nor are any modelling tools in layout?
    Pretty plain to see if you just toggle through the tabs...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BAse_Install.gif 
Views:	40 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	143341

Is this a Win10 issue of some sort as I've never had any problems in my 19+ years of LW installs?
    Apart from sending in my machine I don't know how I can submit this to NT?

UPDATE ...

If I zap the configs and restart LW the menu items come back to life.
    Restart LW (once hub closes) and they are gone again!

I think LW just isn't writing / saving the configs correctly for some reason ?

Name:	CFGs.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	143342

Extension Cache-64 file (which is temporary ) has all the plugins listed size is around 400kb
    LWEXT2018.0.7-64.CFG (which is the written config file) only has my octane plugin listed and is 40kb

Hence why none of my menus / plugins seem to take?

I install all my LW versions to custom directory ....
    C:\NewTek\LightWave_2018.0.7

Configs are all in the standard place as far as I know
    C:\Users\Alan\.NewTek\LightWave\2018.0.7

I don't run any antiviral SW apart from the base Win10 included security stuff.

UPDATE 2 ...

Zapped the configs again, restart LW and now everything seems to work as expected

Name:	Base_Install_WORKS.gif 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	143343

Extension Cache-64 file (which is temporary ) has just a few plugins listed, size is around 5kb
    LWEXT2018.0.7-64.CFG (which is the written config file) now seems to have all plugins listed, size is 350kb

So pretty much the inverse to the previous and as expected.

Now the question to NT is why on earth do I need to do this 3 times in order for LW to install correctly ?
    Last edited by adk; 11-11-2018 at 08:24 PM.

What does that .cfg file do? I have never backed it up or have cared about it's existence.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    What does that .cfg file do? I have never backed it up or have cared about it's existence.
    CFG files are where LW writes all of the preferences as far as I know Tim, including plugin locations.
    I guess it's also where menu layouts are stored, as when I wipe the directory everything goes back to original state.
    I'm less familiar with the menu layout side of it, but have been mucking about with CFG files since eons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    CFG files are where LW writes all of the preferences as far as I know Tim, including plugin locations.
    I guess it's also where menu layouts are stored, as when I wipe the directory everything goes back to original state.
    I'm less familiar with the menu layout side of it, but have been mucking about with CFG files since eons ago.
    I'm familiar with LW.cfg and LWM.cfg and thought they set the preferences for pretty much everything except the Hub. For some reason I thought the LWEXT.cfg had something to do with the fonts and text - maybe that's my dyslexia kicking in.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    I thought the LWEXT.cfg had something to do with the fonts and text
    Nope. EXT is where ALL plugins reside! None whatsoever defined in the layout and modeler configs. Those are for menu, keys, and other program prefs.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast