Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifiable Pie Menu ala MODO

related > Strokes Plus

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
    Hiya!

A pie menu like MODO. I have increased my comfort and speed in MODO two or three fold since really learning and using how to make custom pie menu's. One of the biggest hang ups for me and LW is it's bloated feature set...seems for every tool there are three others that do the same thing with only a minor difference, and each one seems to have it's own rules for use. Once I find one I like, I'd love to be able to put it into a pie menu so I don't have to go hunting or glance at the keyboard to make sure I'm hitting Ctrl + Shift + U or some other finger-bending horror. There are only so many keys and key combos my left hand can easily get to...being able to hit "Shift + E" and have my own pie menu pop up with all my "edge tools" that I like to use would be MUCH easier than memorizing (and finding/setting) six to eight actual 'hotkeys'.

Unless I'm an idiot and there is some plug-in out there that does this. Anyone?
    I think it would be great if users could define any number of custom interfaces and assign then to whatever they want, not just be locked into the 3 Ctrl+Shift menus. I don't care as much about whether that capability is presented as standard menus or a more sophisticated HUD, though the latter would be preferred. I think Oliver's Pie Menu looks great, but I would like a solution that works in Modeler as well.
    Last edited by tburbage; 08-30-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I'm not competent to understand WHY the UI toolkit they've been saddled with is so limited (look how polite I'm being): LSCommander seems to indicate that a great deal of Layout is a sort of "call and response" system, but then there are annoyingly vast bits that do not appear in LSCommander (eg, interactions within the Scene Editor, for one), which IMO was a major g.d. misstep-- EVERYTHING should go that way, then we could easily build scripts by leveraging the clues provided by LSCommander.

Modeler seems to be an entirely different animal. Development been moribund so long something has to be very wrong in the foundations of the UI code.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I'm not competent to understand WHY the UI toolkit they've been saddled with is so limited (look how polite I'm being): LSCommander seems to indicate that a great deal of Layout is a sort of "call and response" system, but then there are annoyingly vast bits that do not appear in LSCommander (eg, interactions within the Scene Editor, for one), which IMO was a major g.d. misstep-- EVERYTHING should go that way, then we could easily build scripts by leveraging the clues provided by LSCommander.

Modeler seems to be an entirely different animal. Development been moribund so long something has to be very wrong in the foundations of the UI code.
    The whole dual application thing and small team is a development killer.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    It must be a huge problem: I don't think for one minute they are just sitting on their hands down there. However, I do feel they neglected many easy fixes/LHF that would have served their customers well without consuming too many development resources.

Put another way: I question the priorities they've been working under.

Thank Buddha for the 3rd party developers.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    related > Strokes Plus

very good

your talk on the left hand only use is a good illustration of why the pie menu is handy

thanks, and if you want to optimize further, learn autohotkey

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Lightbulb Changing UI behavior via AHK (autohotkey)

One thing you can do with autohotkey (AHK) is address certain inconveniences in the UI. My big one was : I almost always use the Menu Editor (surely there's a better way now? It's an old habit.) not so much to edit the menus, but to FIND functions. So, it's my search engine inside LW/LWM.

However, the SEARCH field (a godsend) is not automatically active when you invoke the editor. --It SHOULD be, there's literally zero downside to having it active. (Requested long ago.)-- I find this incredibly aggravating, as it is Yet Another Navigate and Click (YAN&C) that is unnecessary.

BUT, and here's the cool thing: using AHK you can set it up so that AHK automagically mouse-clicks the SEARCH field for you, thereby activating it, so when you invoke the editor it's already in SEARCH MODE.

That's the tiniest iceberg-tip of what AHK can do for you. You can basically make it into a huge macro system for ALL your programs. You can "wedge" it in between hotkeys and the program, and have it execute a series of actions. It is awesome.

Any repetitive action you find irksome should be examined to see if AHK can relieve you of that burden.

You can basically make it into a huge macro system for ALL your programs.
    You can "wedge" it in between hotkeys and the program, and have it execute a series of actions. It is awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12