Thread: How to Advance Backgrounds in Teleprompter Setup With a Fade?

How to Advance Backgrounds in Teleprompter Setup With a Fade?

Hello. I am a novice user with an HD4 Mini, which I bought to make teaching videos. I am both the talent and the operator. Basically I want to sit in a chair in front of a green screen, with me positioned in the left half of the screen. Then I want to advance text and images in the right side of the screen with a fade (not jump cuts), and talk about them. The only catch is that I need to use a teleprompter, and I am having a hard time figuring out a good workflow. Does anyone have any ideas?

In my old teleprompter workflow, ME1 was a LiveMatte Camera 1 over a still background image in a frame buffer (so basically, my talking head over a still). Then for ME2 Camera 1 is minimized down into the lower-left-hand corner of the screen, and text and images from GFX1 fill the rest of the screen. Then ME4 had GFX1 rotated 180 degrees about the Y axis, to feed the teleprompter. Shifting back and forth from ME1 to ME2 gave me the fade I wanted, but people said they want me to stay up on the screen while I am talking about the slides in GFX1 (because they want to be able to watch my facial expressions, it seems). So now I need to figure out how to stay up on the screen, feed a teleprompter, and still get a fade.

I made new PowerPoint slides that put me on the left side of the screen, and all text and images in the right half of the screen. I thought to set ME1 and ME2 to the same specifications, put the odd-numbered slides in GFX1 and the even numbered slides in GFX2, and simply transition back and forth between them with the space bar. That would give me the fade I need, but I can't figure out how to feed the teleprompter (because ME4 will only draw from GFX1 or GFX2, but not both). So does anyone know how I could stay up in the left half of the screen, advance my stills with a fade, and still feed a teleprompter? If this has been covered elsewhere, I would be glad for the link. Thanks.

I'd suggest you use a separate computer to run the free Autocue QStart application. It can be run on a $99 Windows 10 tablet. If the tablet has Bluetooth, it can be controlled from a wireless mouse, too. It will also reverse the text so it can be displayed using a mirrored, through the lens style prompter.

It's a very good program and the price is right.

www.Autocue.com

Once you download it and install, you do have to go through their registration process which generates a license key, at no charge. That's a holdover from when it was a purchased application, I guess.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Fritz, thank you very much. If I understand, first I need to learn NDI. Then I need to install Autocue QStart on a computer with PowerPoint as an input over Ethernet. Then I need to set ME1 as Camera 1 (Layer A) over my PowerPoint computer input (Layer B), and record. Cabling is HDMI to the teleprompter, and Ethernet between the computer and Tricaster. That gives me a direction to try.
    I hope you have a wonderful day.

Actually, if all you're looking to do is run a teleprompter, independently of the TriCaster, you don't need NDI at all. The program will work stand-alone on a tablet that can be in the teleprompter head (or you can use a conventional PC and hook it up to a monitor in the teleprompter head).

NDI is nice, you can use it to distribute the Qstart output on multiple displays. And you can use WiFi, so it's very easy. But, as noted, you don't need to use NDI at all.

And, this will eliminate PowerPoint all together, too. Just run QStart and it will handle the prompting all by itself.

FYI, although you can control from the keyboard or a mouse, there's also a very inexpensive USB controller that has a knob to run the direction and speed of the text. It's the Contour Design Shuttle Express (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps).

Fritz
    Last edited by fgolman; 08-23-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Thank you, Fritz. However, I apologize if I was not clear. Actually, what I am hoping for is that the slide can display in the teleprompter at the exact same time as it is being recorded by the TriCaster, as part of ME1.

So in other words, what I want is for the slide to display in the teleprompter (with the contents in the right hand side of the slide), and then the TriCaster also simultaneously records an overlay of my smiling face (Layer A) as I talk about the contents in the right-hand side of the slide (Layer B). So I think I need to display and record the slide (as part of ME1) at the same time.

Ah, you want to run external slides and talk about them, not a true teleprompter with a script.

SO, my suggestion then is to use NDI Tools with Scan Convertor to bring in the PowerPoint slides from an external computer as a layer you can put up in a DSK, sort of like what you're doing now. If you want to fade, you can set that up in PowerPoint. Alternatively, if you don't want to run the slides on an external computer, you can export them as JPEGs or PNGs and load them into a graphics player. Then, AE allows transitions in between each slide in a graphics player (I believe that ALT-F will create a fade element in the graphics player and then you can modify that transition as you wish).

I believe that there are a number of multi-layer box effects that will assist you in this. Since you've got a Mini, doing comps to create your own boxes, on the fly, won't work (it takes a 460 or better).

Fritz Golman

Record yourself in front of the Green Screen, then bring those recordings into a DDR and then do everything else.
    This way you only have to worry about the teleprompter during recording.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Fritz, thank you! I hooked up my laptop to Input 2 of the TriCaster via HDMI, and started the Scan Converter. Then I set ME1 as Camera 1 (with chroma) over Input 2 (PPT on laptop). This allows me to click through the presentation on my laptop (using a native PowerPoint fade).

Next I tested your alternate. I put some .png slides in GFX1, selected them all (CTRL+A) and pressed ALT+F. AE did put a fade between all of the slides. This allows me to advance the slides with a smooth fade using the semicolon ; key. That is the solution I was looking for, so I will probably go that route.

I apologize, I did not understand your last paragraph:
    >> I believe that there are a number of multi-layer box effects that will assist you in this. Since you've got a Mini, doing comps to create your own boxes, on the fly, won't work (it takes a 460 or better).
    Could you please help me to understand what you are saying here?
    Last edited by Nazarene; 08-26-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Stream, I like your idea. If I bring the Mix 1 .mov file into DDR1 and play it again, then do I apply motion graphics and lower thirds using the DSKs?

And how much resolution does one lose in the re-rendering process?

Also, do I put the lower thirds and motion graphics in the frame buffers?
    Thanks.

So, as far as my comment about the multi-box, I was assuming that you wanted your slide graphic in one big box and your talking head (yourself) in a small box. As noted, in AE, you can do what are called 'comps' (compositions) which take all the various settings of size, position, etc, and can smoothly allow automatic keyframe animated transitions with the various boxes moving around. BUT, as I also noted, you can't do that on a Mini, so you've got to take pre-built multibox effects (Helix series, for example) and use those … assuming this is the route you want to go.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Fritz

Fritz, thanks. I think I understand what you are saying. I am not familiar with Helix, but it sounds like I need to check into it. (I also still need to learn Photoshop, After Effects, etc., etc.)

Where could I learn more about Helix?
    Last edited by Nazarene; 08-27-2018 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Make clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazarene View Post
    Fritz, thanks. I think I understand what you are saying. I am not familiar with Helix, but it sounds like I need to check into it. (I also still need to learn Photoshop, After Effects, etc., etc.)

Where could I learn more about Helix?
    Helix is simply one of the default Virtual Set backgrounds installed in your TriCaster, with double-box layouts. I would really suggest just poking around inside your TriCaster, digging through things to see what's in there, for instance take a look at all the different Virtual Sets available in an M/E so you are more familiar with the offerings.

Thanks

Jeff
    Jeff Pulera
    Streaming Broadcast Solutions - Newtek Elite

TriCasters: Mini with AE, TC1
    Camera: Sony PMW-X70 4K
    Controllers: All variety of XKeys
    PTZ: Newtek NDIHX-PTZ1

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    I would really suggest just poking around inside your TriCaster, digging through things to see what's in there, for instance take a look at all the different Virtual Sets available in an M/E so you are more familiar with the offerings.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff, thank you! That sounds like a very good idea. I will try to get in there and poke around, as time allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazarene View Post
    Stream, I like your idea. If I bring the Mix 1 .mov file into DDR1 and play it again, then do I apply motion graphics and lower thirds using the DSKs?

And how much resolution does one lose in the re-rendering process?

Also, do I put the lower thirds and motion graphics in the frame buffers?
    Thanks.
    Yes, treat it just like a production. Set it up the same, just use the recording in a DDR instead of the camera input. I do a similar thing a lot and see no real loose of quality.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables