Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion Designer

Motion Designer

I find motion designer impossible to use if I want it to detect collisions.

Do you need to have the two materials that you want to collide as searate models? On separate layers? Or will just as separate materials do? Because it seems that no mater how I alter the setings, the material still goes through my model's legs.

Do you have one object set as target and the other set as collision?

I guess that must be the problem. It is a single mesh model, I was trying to do it with fixed and active materials. I'll break the model up and try again. Thanks.

I'm no expert on motion designer by any means. But if it's all one model, have you made sure self collision is on?

Yes, I did have self collision on, and by turning up the skin thickness on the material (legs) I wanted the fabric to collide against, I got some strange results. Ultimately, the cloth either flew up in the air, or it would just keep on going right through the legs.

Okay, so I've broken the model into a skirt and the body and legs. Now the problem is, how do I attach both the meshes to the bones? I can only get one mesh attached.

Is it possible to have two models atached to one set of bones animation?

Select the "boneless" object.
    Press "shift-b" to get into the bone mode.
    Hit "p" to get the bone properties.
    On top of the panel there's a pulldown menu wich says "Use bones from"... There you select the mesh with the bones.
    Voila. It will now be deformed by the bones of the other object. All the weight maps will be respected too.

Great. Thanks Pixelranger, I've got that done.

Now, I've actually tried this a while back and couldn't get it to work. I've followed tutorials and RTFM and everything (plus asking here), and I'm beginning to doubt if Motion Designer is up to the task at had. There appear to be no settings on earth that will keep the dress on the correct side of her legs. PLEASE, someone who knows about this, tell me if what I am trying to do is possible or if I should try a different tack.

Thanks in advance.

Try pumping up the calculation resolution to about 100.
    Also try to increase the collision objects' skin thickness in the md settings panel. Are you using a poly stand-in for collision detection or are you using sds-legs for the skirt to collide with?

Thanks again Pixelranger,

Boosting the calculate resolution only succeeded in slowing things down. I bumped it up all the way to 50000.

Uping the skin thickness of the collision object eventually makes the dress explode up in the air, but it still goes through the model.

The way I've set it up is, I broke the model into two parts: the dress and the rest of the model. I set the the top row of polygons on the dress to fixed to stop it from blowing away. I gave both objects the same set of bones and animations and put them in the same position. I set the body object to collision, and the dress to target.

It's not even close to working, and I'm beginnning to doubt Motion Designer is able to cut the mustard. This model does karate moves, and I can't even get the dress to stay out of her legs when she's hardly moving. Has anyone seen a working example of what I'm trying to do?

If Motion Designer can't handle this kind of animation ,does anyone know a programthat can? Or should I be using bone or point animation for this project?

Happy new year !!!!!

Try increasing the "Skin Thickness" setting for her legs. Im sure that will sort it.

Rob T

Ive just read the post above and youve tried that already...you say that it blows the skirt up in the air, maybe youve crancked up the setting to much.. what height is your girl?

The setting for skin thickness is measured in meters..so you might only need to move it up by 0.01

Also.....have you tried the sub structure setting..might help!!!
    Last edited by wingwalker; 01-01-2004 at 06:13 AM.

Well, You want to have your dress and legs slightly higher poly I think. Use Parts on your skirt object, selecting just the bits which will swish about, and use a object which is just the lower half of the body (using the bones of your woman to control it)as a collision object. Use a nurbs mesh if you can, and you can up the detail of it a lot easier. If you have a lot of big polys in the skirt/legs, it's going to be a lot harder for MD to sort out the collisions. You need to have a nice mesh with an even distribution of polys, not some tiny ones in some places and huge polys in others. It's question of balance. I've got reasonable results, you just need a bit of practice. The way your mesh is built is much more important than the calculation resolution.

Also, use the stretch limit value (set at about 10%) rather than upping the spring value as this tends to make things jiggle. Apply more viscosity and this will calm things down too.
    Last edited by Dodgy; 01-01-2004 at 07:17 AM.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thank you Dodgy. There is one problem with that though. This is a game model, and I don't want any more polies in her. She's at 2300 as it is. After bumping the poly count in the legs and skirt and animating, how would I strip the polies back off again? There are 360 frames of animation.

You can use a higher density mesh for calculation purposes, save the motion as an mdd file in motion designer. Then you can reduce the polys and apply that mdd file to the lo rez version for the game model.

I tried that, but the dress still goes throught the legs. It does seem to be ever so slightly better though. Someone should make a "keep the material on the right side of the collision object at all times" button for Motion Designer.

Any other ideas? Also, I've never actually seen a model made with lightwave that uses motion designer for a dress like this. Has it ever been successfully done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast