Thread: Feature request NDI Studio Monitor

Feature request NDI Studio Monitor

Feature request for NDI Studio Monitor.

It would be really nice if you were able to reverse the image in the NDI monitor.
    It may sound silly but as a one man show, hosting and running the TC-1, if I could reverse the output of my TC-1 program feed and
    use NDI monitor in my teleprompter I could see the output of my show into the camera instead of looking at
    the output monitor above or the monitor to the left or right...
    The number one feedback I always get is why are you always lookin up or down?
    Its the simple things.

You could do this using OBS with the NDI plug-in.

Once you get everything installed. Add an NDI source which is TriCaster output. Then resize the source until you flip it around. To make it full screen, right click on the right monitor and choose Fullscreen output.

OBS Studio: https://obsproject.com/
    NDI Plug-In for OBS: https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.5.0
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Actually if you use the free Autocue QStart prompter you can have both a reversed and normal output from the application. It's can run via NDI and I've used a cheap Windows tablet to be the prompter output via WiFi. Works great! Alternatively you can also use the Intel Compute Stick to connect to an HDMI monitor too if the tablet concept doesn't appeal (I'm also using that and it works great, as well).

Feel free to drop me a line if you've got any questions.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Hi Fritz,

Thanks for your input on this. I've got a job coming up where i need autocue on a couple of cameras and i'm looking for a low cost option rather than hiring in a full rig and operator. With your QStart set up you mentioned using a "windows tablet to be the prompter via wifi". Do you mean you were able to send the output from the tablet via wifi to a second screen?
    Simon Malone
    Certified Tricaster Operator
    FreelanceVisionMixer.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates & Kit Hire

What I was saying was that you run Qstart (which has NDI output) on a pc that has a wifi card and run NDI monitor on the tablet and use WiFi connection to pick it up to display on the cameras as prompters. Alternatively, you could plug your tablets into a LAN via a USB ethernet adapter and go the wired route.

Qstart features a secondary display channel that can be reversed for display on through the lens prompters.
    Last edited by fgolman; 05-11-2019 at 08:51 PM.

We have a monitor right under the camera where the talent can either see the program output or their powerpoint or whatever they want. We feed it from a video output.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Just to mention it, among other benefits the LiveCreator feature in the upcoming version of PA gives you a TC-native teleprompter solution that can easily be distributed by NDI or another system output (i.e., SDI).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

How does that native promoter work?

Is it using the voice recognition feature to advance or does it still need an operator to control speed, etc.

I can see if it's using voice as a really cool option since it would allow prompters even when directing show as "one man band", which is usually how we run.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

For this round, at least, it is not voice actuated, Fritz. It has speed controls, and supports the ShuttleXpress USB controller.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")