Thread: Layout 2018 menus, tools, and option settings

Layout 2018 menus, tools, and option settings

I am certain I am not the first to ask this question. So perhaps this should be a sticky.

I just updated from 2015.3 to 2018. Many of the menu items have moved elsewhere and I am having to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find where a a lot of items have been moved to. It took me over an hour to find where the reconstruction filters move to.

For the sake pf expediency can Lightwave be configured to a older menu interface such as 2015? This would not be an unusual request as many applications let you configure the application to an earlier revision interface. Or is there a document detailing what was moved and to where it was moved?

I hope this is a case otherwise Newtek just forced me to waste a lot of time going in and having to do this menu item by menu item even if that is possible.

You should be able to do it from the Configure menus dialog box. Just go to Edit>Edit Menu Layout to bring up the box. In the top right corner there is a button named 'Presets.' Select 2015 Style and see if that works for you.

I think the whole Menu system needs updating. They still have allot of the old ones in there and many dont really apply to 2018. Someone should ditch the old ones and give us an updated Studio, 2015 and 2018 Menu and thats it.

I found it easier to save all my 2015 tabs and setups that i had gotten the way i liked and then add all my third party plugins and then import the 2015 tabs. Now some of the plugins will not work, mostly, node, texture and render stuff because that has changed allot. The rest seem fine. It was quicker to do it this way than from scratch. Im sure there are still some in there i have missed but at least i have a setup similar to 2015.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 08-15-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by johnmarchant View Post
    i think the whole menu system needs updating.
    qfa.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 1080ti

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    The Menu Editor is, frankly, ridiculous. It's like circa 1995.

AND: the Menu Editor and the Hotkey Editor NEED TO BE CONSOLIDATED. --Unless LWG >>intends<< to continue to waste our time.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Actually i dont mind the editor that much, yes Menu and Hotkey could be combined and a few tweaks here and there, but overall i have no problem with it, im minimalist so it works for me. Its just the menus need updating, i find myself occasionally screaming at the screen "FFS Its 2018" not LW 9 or 11.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Actually i dont mind the editor that much, yes Menu and Hotkey could be combined and a few tweaks here and there, but overall i have no problem with it, im minimalist so it works for me. Its just the menus need updating, i find myself occasionally screaming at the screen "FFS Its 2018" not LW 9 or 11.
    John, it's so easy to figure out things that would make the editor better that, well, it angers me. Indeed, updated PRESETS for the current version are the MINIMAL effort I would expect to see (I don't know that that hasn't been done, but it certainly seems to be what you're saying).

Bells and whistles like making it easy to discern what's been excluded or neglected from the UI (besides the bolding/ghosting) are certainly desirable, and I find it onerous to have to set the Hotkeys in an entirely separate editor. YMMV, but this is simple stuff, not like a PBR, so why does it never get attended to?

No i meant the way it looks and works. Yes there are things that could be improved and as i said the first thing would be the glaringly obvious. If LW 2018 is so different from LW of the past then why is there not at least a 2018 and 2018 Studio setup. However i think that allot of things could have been changed and improved and did not get improved. Hopefully now they have the new renderer and such off the ground im hoping that modeler will get some TLC which is again my biggest bugbare with LW and has been for some time.

I do agree that the Main Editor, Hotkey and even graph editor could be combined, the use of color in the background. We can even define in LScript what sort of script it is, so why not have that color coded. As long as they dont start using icons to much.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 08-19-2018 at 06:20 PM.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2018.4

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    YMMV, but this is simple stuff, not like a PBR, so why does it never get attended to?
    Well have a look at 2018s Object Properties panel, light editing or Volume Primitive UI presentation for example, some parts of LWs UI design and usability actually got worse.

For things like inconsistent hotkeys in Graph Editor, non-working undo, display scaling issues, well I have not much hope they ever get fixed. Then there are some low hanging fruits like cleaning up the chaos in menus but not even that has been done in 3 years.

On the subject of Icons, If they are done right, they do work well. Rhino 3D is a good example of this. While I think that the Menu and Hotkey editors could be combined, the graph editor should be a stand alone.

I think the problem we're all talking about is the underpinnings of the interface system. Yes, it would be nice if we could have colors that updated when we changed them instead of having to restart, whose windows were resizable, whose fonts scaled well with screen resolution. There's a lot of work that needs to be done, say, to upgrade to either an OS specific interface (Windows or Mac windowing), or using something like tk or QT. Not only do you have to replace that entire subsystem, you have to make sure the SDK, Python, and lScript interfaces are all transparent to the changes.

Should the Interface subsystem be replaced, it will cause a lot of grief... and a lot of broken functionality (until developers, primary and 3rd parties, fix what's broken). Given how tolerant this community is of versions that break functionality, and how thorough Newtek's testing appears to be...

Would you want to be on the receiving end of the result?
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    If they're still limping along with their home-rolled UI system that apparently can't do jack squat in terms of modern UI, I don't know what to say.

Except: that's some bad freekin' management.

Rather, the problem has been left for so long, the patient may die on the table when they go to operate.

Who knows, though... there may be an internal fork that they're already working on the UI fixes...
    --------
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    Rather, the problem has been left for so long, the patient may die on the table when they go to operate.

Who knows, though... there may be an internal fork that they're already working on the UI fixes...
    Yes that's that would be great. Wouldn't hurt them to say that / if they are working on a new UI foundation (without making any promises or details).

Personally I don't think so and the 2018 feature UI implementation make me think they don't have anybody capable, dedicated or efficient enough of doing it. There are countless examples for that in 2018. Even the main mew 2018 feature - the renderer - has UI setting that confuse most users (Noise filtering, quality settings, missing presets for example), so that even Oliver had to step in and write a Render quick setup tool among the other 300+ tools he created that should be part of the native functionalty. LW2018 is a complete mess compared to other 3D apps in its usability.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Bingo, Marander.