Thread: Lightfield rendering?

Lightfield rendering?

HI,

I'm interested in creating Lightfield renders... there seems to be an addon for Blender that sets up a Lightfield rig, is there something similar for LW?

Thnx

It's fairly easy actually. You just need to create grid of camera's. Viewing the lightfield is something else. I successfully did a test with a 2.5D setup and an opensource lightfield viewer. https://github.com/tatsy/LightField My guess is that using Octane4 and the ORBX file format is the easiest way to go if you want a 3D lightfield for VR.

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    It's fairly easy actually. You just need to create grid of camera's. Viewing the lightfield is something else. I successfully did a test with a 2.5D setup and an opensource lightfield viewer. https://github.com/tatsy/LightField My guess is that using Octane4 and the ORBX file format is the easiest way to go if you want a 3D lightfield for VR.

Thnx.. any idea on how the grid may look like?

on another note... so from what I understand about lightfields.. one culd use a Drone to capture Real World images to create a lightfield?

Depending on what you are after 2.5D(or whatever you want to call it) or 3D you can place cameras with an equal distance from each other in your scene. So for 2.5D you place a grid of normal cameras 20 in x and 20 in y each 10cm apart or something.
    To create a 3D lightfield that works in VR you do the same but extend this in the Z axes and render each camera to a spherical map. As far as I know there aren't any viewers available that you can download currently. I've seen a plugin for Unity from Otoy I think in the past that showed a lightfield in VR but I don't know if this is available for everybody. I don't own Octane so maybe someone with Octane can tell you if that stuff exists.

There are a lot of vid on youtube that explain what lightfields are. You should check then out I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTdPZk3hNVY
    You could use a drone to capture a lightfield but that would be far from ideal for several reasons. For example: You need a 360 cam and nothing can move because you have to just like in LW sample multiple places in 3D space so I wouldn't go there. So to be realistic the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    Depending on what you are after 2.5D(or whatever you want to call it) or 3D you can place cameras with an equal distance from each other in your scene. So for 2.5D you place a grid of normal cameras 20 in x and 20 in y each 10cm apart or something.
    To create a 3D lightfield that works in VR you do the same but extend this in the Z axes and render each camera to a spherical map. As far as I know there aren't any viewers available that you can download currently. I've seen a plugin for Unity from Otoy I think in the past that showed a lightfield in VR but I don't know if this is available for everybody. I don't own Octane so maybe someone with Octane can tell you if that stuff exists.

There are a lot of vid on youtube that explain what lightfields are. You should check then out I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTdPZk3hNVY
    You could use a drone to capture a lightfield but that would be far from ideal for several reasons. For example: You need a 360 cam and nothing can move because you have to just like in LW sample multiple places in 3D space so I wouldn't go there. So to be realistic the answer is no.
    Thnx...

What I'm after is the like the "Lightfield Cube" Otoy has some demos for.. 6DOF, kinda like a 3D pano but where you can move inside...