Thread: Trouble welding object

Trouble welding object

Hi

I hope this is the correct area for posting modelling queries.

I am trying to model a vintage car headlight like this:

https://www.123rf.com/photo_16022934...-close-up.html

I've tried welding a disc with a boolean'd ball of similar size. It looks fairly good but there are join lines appearing showing that it was two seperate objects. It doesn't look full connected. How can I remove these join lines? It shows up when you rotate the object in the perspective view.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

You don't always need to weld (or Boolean Union separate parts) together in a larger part (or object). In fact, it often produces the exact problem you describe, and can affect smoothing --among other things. From what you describe, you're getting smoothing errors. Rarely on a hard surface model do you need a smoothing value of anything other than 30%, --instead of the default 89.5%. 30% will make your beveled edges pop, while keeping your curves from looking segmented, as long as you use enough geometry. I sure wish there was a way to make 30% the default Surface Editor Smooth Threshold value.

Simplify your modeling workflow: Just create both parts in separate layers, align them together, and place them in the same layer. As you add more parts (to a vehicle for example) add them to the same layer (I use layer #1) and continue to add to the vehicle. Unless a par is animated, it can remain in layer 1. I do this for objects containing hundreds of parts.

If you want to be able to select the entire headlight once it's placed on the vehicle, go to Details/Create Part and name it "Headlight". If you need to isolate it from the larger object, open the Statistics panel (W), go to the Parts list, select "Headlight", and press the adjacent "+" button to highlight (select) it. Voila! Easy. Done.

CC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 08-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks for that. I managed to fix the issue by deleting some single point polygons from the statistics menu. That cleared up the issue.

I've been using Lightwave only moderately for a few years so I still feel very new to modelling. Anything even mildly complex involves so much time and a helluva lot of frustration. For example I have tried to make curvy mud guards for the car (think Model T Ford style) using spline but its difficult turning that into something usable. Are there any good beginning to intermediate tutorials you know of?

Unwanted geometry is a negative side effect of welding. It pays to keep the Statistics panel open as you work in modeler and perform housekeeping (mesh clean-up) as you progress, eliminating 1 and 2-point polys. (Unless you need them for a reason.)

There are lots of tutorials for any number of aspects of Lightwave modeling freely available, but sometimes, the best ways are the old ways, and by that, I mean mastering the fundamentals. I highly recommend watching the many short tutorials produced by my former teacher and all-around nice guy, William Vaughan. You can Google his name or check out youtube.

While his videos are in older versions of LW, most are still applicable with the latest versions, and all are packed with useful tips and shortcuts. He not only explains the "whats" but the equally valuable "whys" too.

Here's one example of his handiwork I've always liked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQzwKa2IFY

Another link for lots of them: https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/?page=30
    CC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 08-09-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    If you want to be able to select the entire headlight once it's placed on the vehicle, go to Details/Create Part and name it "Headlight". If you need to isolate it from the larger object, open the Statistics panel (W), go to the Parts list, select "Headlight", and press the adjacent "+" button to highlight (select) it. Voila! Easy. Done.
    CC
    A neglected way to group & select geometry is SKETCH COLOR. If you use it sparingly and on widely separated geometry, it becomes very useful. (Wide separation makes it easy to DESELECT unwanted stuff.)

PART(S), (SKETCH) COLOR, and SURFACE can all be used to select polygons. There's probably more: WEIGHT MAPS, UV Maps?

Oooo, yeah: I've never done this but: Select some polys, make an "ATLAS" UV map of those polys, and make one vuport "UV Map". Now you can use the UV vuport to select the polys.

For this headlight, a hard edge on the glass would be fine: it doesn't need to be connected to the shell. But in fact you could model the shell and the glass in one LATHE operation, select the flat glass, CUT & PASTE back in, and never merge the points.

(If you want to PREVENT points from merging, select the polys in question, make a new morph map, and SIZE EVERYTHING in the morph UP/DOWN/WHATEV. Name the morph "NO MERGE". Switch back to the base object. Non of the morphed points will merge.)(MOVING them is probably better than SCALING or ROTATING, as some might still coincide enough to merge, so just drop them by -1000 on the Z axis.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

"A neglected way to group & select geometry is SKETCH COLOR. If you use it sparingly and on widely separated geometry, it becomes very useful. (Wide separation makes it easy to DESELECT unwanted stuff.)

PART(S), (SKETCH) COLOR, and SURFACE can all be used to select polygons. There's probably more: WEIGHT MAPS, UV Maps?"

All true, but if I want a specific part, regardless of how deeply it's buried within the object, I just select the part name and pull it out. Simple and intuitive works best for me. As for selecting surfaces, I often have parts that contain the same surface name, so that can select more polys than I need.

I stick with the parts naming convention since time is of the essence when modeling at work; especially when converting an engineering CAD model with several million polys into an efficient mesh suitable for timely Lightwave rendering. I use the same part names called out in the engineering drawings so all of us are speaking the same language. Fun stuff, and I get paid too.

CCC

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    What I don't like about PART(S) is that any given poly can only be included in ONE Part. To me, that's ridiculous. Say, if you have a landing gear assembly, you should be able to chose the entire assembly, AND/OR any given sub-assembly.

EG, in the OP's case, a user should be able to have both a "HEADLAMP ASSMB" consisting of the entire thing, and a "HDLMP GLASS" Part.

There's some other things about Part I don't like, but I don't recall them-- in general, I think they could be better implemented/supported.

Sketch color is also useful simply for visibility, especially for character/animal models, particularly when they are symmetrical.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.