Thread: Connect Spark vs Decimator

Connect Spark vs Decimator

Hi folks,

Just speccing up a multi-capture system for a new Esports project we're working on, and looking at moving to Connect Spark units over the Decimators we had been using previously - both for simplicity and ease of distribution of the video sources.

We would need to have around 25-30 video feeds running through the network - which should be fine, based on the specified networking kit - and run simultaneous recording of all sources - again fine with a couple of Isocorder setups.

However, I'm looking for information on the maximum HDMI signal specifications on the Connect devices - the Decimators we have used previously cap our frame rates at 60hz, which for pro gaming is a big problem! Ideally I'd like to run the monitors (taking the pass-through feed) at 144hz/fps. Obviously I wouldn't need this to be transmitted down the line - 60hz will be plenty - but want to find out if anyone is aware of any capture limits on the Connect devices.

Obviously it's not going to make a whole lot of difference if there are - like I say, the Decimators cap at 60hz for both conversion and pass-through - but it would be great if we could avoid these limits at least on the pass-through connection.

The Spark maximum input resolution is 1920x1080 at 60Hz.

If these are PCs, the new NDI Scan Converter (v3.6) would do what you need. Even with the display running at 144Hz, you can set NDI Scan Converter to output at 50, 59.94 (or other) frame rate. It will do this without image tearing. The new NDI Scan Converter runs mostly in GPU, so it has little hit on the CPU.

I know that at some events, installing software isn't allowed on the competition PCs. At those type of events, a second set of observer PCs are used to produce the video production which you can install NDI Scan Converter on those. You don't mention what game, so that may or may not be an option.

NewTek gear is a popular solution for eSports video production. Direct message me if you want me to get you in contact with our EMEA sales team for more information on everything our products can do.
    Last edited by kanep; 08-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully we do have the freedom to install what we like on the systems - we run both the systems and the competition in this use case. We've had success in the past with previous and current versions of NDI in getting the production feed out, however given the need for absolute stability and reliability in this particular competition I do not want to add any additional workload to the systems, nor do I want to combine the gaming network with the production network!

Will send a DM so we can talk in more detail! *EDIT* Can't currently send the DM as your inbox is full!
    Last edited by exsimdave; 08-09-2018 at 04:30 AM.