Thread: updated list of NDI products?

updated list of NDI products?

Has anyone compiled a list of all current (and pending) NDI products?
    We are looking for a smaller switcher and wanted to see what was out there (besides the Mini), plus what outgear is available/forthcoming.
    I know VMix and Wirecast are taking advantage of NDI so systems based on those applications would be a possibility. I was really hoping BlackMagic (doubtful) or Ross would have a hardware unit that had NDI.

I figured Newtek might have a list of all 'partners' moving forward with NDI, but could not find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11
    Rack: Router, switch, backup encoder, captioning devices, audio mixer , etc
    Cameras: Sony FS700, Z150, NX5, NewTek PTZ1, Spark
    http://reddogrecords.com

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    The NDI Wikipedia page is has the most exhaustive list of NDI Products. I would check out the Panasonic HLC-100 if you are looking for a small NDI switcher.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    The NDI Wikipedia page is has the most exhaustive list of NDI Products. I would check out the Panasonic HLC-100 if you are looking for a small NDI switcher.
    Thanks for the info Kane!

I was really hoping there would be something in the $2500-$5000 range. Lots of reliable switcher options at that price point, but none of them are NDI capable.

The Panasonic looks great, but for $11.5k, I would probably just get a Mini and a used car to drive it around.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11

Not that I'm touting it but why don't you try VMix? You can even test for free, I think.

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

[QUOTE=fgolman;1551773]Not that I'm touting it but why don't you try VMix? You can even test for free, I think.

Hi Fritz,

vMix and Wirecast are both great options, but I was looking for a more solid-state solution - rather than a PC based one. We might just go with a Black Magic ATEM and 4 of the Bird Dog Minis.
    I hate buying converters, but that might be the only way to go for now.
    I am sure there will be more options at NAB next year, which will also give more time for current products to become more mature (reliable).

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11

You might want to look at the Panasonic HLC100.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Hi Steve,
    We checked out the Panasonic at NAB and it looks awesome - but at $11,500, it is priced beyond what we are looking for.
    An ATEM TV Studio HD can be bought new for $1K with 4x NDI adaptors for an additional $2.4k - so we are looking at $3,500 for a 4 channel NDI solution with lots of flexibility.
    We are still open to other options though!

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE2 + LC-11

I think part of the issue why you can't find a 'hardware' base-band switcher NDI solution, is that these technologies don't mix that way. NDI is designed for software! You need an IP stack to make it work, which means that a CPU, operating system and software have to be part of the solution.

I don't see building an ATEM with NDI front end converters as getting necessarily getting the best of both. You are limited to the capabilities of a base-band switcher and are using NDI basically as a HDMI extension system. I don't know what your sources will be but you probably need to double the amount of BirdDig Mini you plan to use since you need one unit on each end of the cable for a total of 8 units. Not saying this won't work but NDI features like tally and alpha channels will not be usable in this solution (maybe they don't matter).
    Last edited by kanep; 07-30-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Which actually is computer based....

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    We checked out the Panasonic at NAB and it looks awesome - but at $11,500, it is priced beyond what we are looking for.
    An ATEM TV Studio HD can be bought new for $1K with 4x NDI adaptors for an additional $2.4k - so we are looking at $3,500 for a 4 channel NDI solution with lots of flexibility.
    Sure, I appreciate that budget is a factor. I wouldn't put a home-brew kit one could assemble for a few thousand bucks in the same bracket by any means, though - just my 2 cents, and not to say it might not suit your specific requirements.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    Which actually is computer based....
    I knew that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator