Thread: XLR audio in only on audio input 1 ?

XLR audio in only on audio input 1 ?

Hi!

I want to use the following simple set-up:

• 4x SDI inputs with audio embedded
    • 1x analog audio in via XLR

Am I correct that this is not possible?

The XLR audio input goes always to "input 1".
    I cannot chose just "line 1" on any of the 16 audio inputs.
    I can assign "input 1" to audio "input 5" for example, but if I chose there "line" then the setting changes as well on "input 1" from "embedded" to "line".

Any help or clarification appreciated!

Best regards,
    Matthias

Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    Hi Matthias,

You are correct, you can not use SDI embedded audio and Line in on the same input. However, if you need analog audio along with 4 SDI embedded audio sources you can use something like this https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i.../scarlett-solo to bring in analog audio directly into the VMC. It will show up in the list of audio inputs.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Thanks Zane,

But acutally I don't want to have embedded SDI and Line on the *same* input.
    I just want to be able to use 4x SDI embedded plus one Line on another audio input.

On Tricaster 8000 AE I could select the XLR input on any of the audio inputs. For example on input 8.
    On VMC1 the XLR input seems to be stuck to input 1 - "eating up" one embedded SDI.
    Why this? I have 14 audio inputs now with the VMC1, but can do less than before...?

Still hope that I am missing something here... :-)

Many thanks,
    Matthias

You can still do that.

Select Audio Input 8 on the audio mixer. From the connect drop down, choose Local>Input 1. Then choose Line.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    You can still do that.
    Select Audio Input 8 on the audio mixer. From the connect drop down, choose Local>Input 1. Then choose Line.
    Dear Kane,

Unfortunately you can't do that without losing the embedded SDI on Input 1.

On Tricaster 8000 AE I could select on input 8 "line" independently, keeping all embedded SDI on the other channels.
    If i chose on VMC1 on input 8 -> Input 1 -> Line, then the embedded SDI on input 1 changes as well on same time to Line.

Hope anything can be done about it as this is a very unfortunate limitation.

Best regards,
    Matthias

All TriCaster XD models have worked this way, each video input has a matching audio input. On the 8000 it was analog, AES or SDI embedded per input.

As Zane had mentioned, you can work around this by connecting a USB audio interface to the system. Then you can have as many additional audio inputs as needed on the system.
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    All TriCaster XD models have worked this way, each video input has a matching audio input. On the 8000 it was analog, AES or SDI embedded per input.
    I see.
    I was aware to have four less SDI inputs when upgrading to VMC-1 from Tricaster 8000AE, but it didn't occur to me that i lose the XLR analog audio when using all four embedded SDI signals.
    (As before I always used less than 8 SDI embedded signals, so I was never short for one free input for analog audio...)

Any chance that in a future software upgrade the analog audio could be routed to any of the local audio inputs 5-16? Or physically impossible?

Best regards,
    Matthias

Quote Originally Posted by matthias-web View Post
    I see.
    I was aware to have four less SDI inputs when upgrading to VMC-1 from Tricaster 8000AE, but it didn't occur to me that i lose the XLR analog audio when using all four embedded SDI signals.
    (As before I always used less than 8 SDI embedded signals, so I was never short for one free input for analog audio...)

Any chance that in a future software upgrade the analog audio could be routed to any of the local audio inputs 5-16? Or physically impossible?

Best regards,
    Matthias
    Honesty, I don't know how the hardware is setup, but I've had the impression that it is physically an either/or audio selection.

Something like this should do what you need. Line or Mic level, with our without phantom power. Even an extra set of analog audio outputs.
    http://www.musictribe.com/Categories...C202HD/p/P0BJZ
    Kane Peterson
    NewTek, Inc.